Jan. 23, 2004
IOWA CITY – The Iowa Athletic Department announced today that there are approximately 100 tickets remaining for the first annual Iowa Baseball Lead-off Dinner Monday, Feb. 2 at the Sheraton Hotel in downtown Iowa City. The dinner and program will feature Chicago Cubs General Manager Jim Hendry, former Hawkeye and current Milwaukee Brewers pitcher Wes Obermueller and the Iowa baseball team and staff. The event will start at 7 p.m.
“We’re excited Jim Hendry and Wes Obermueller are joining us for our first lead-off dinner,” said Iowa Head Coach Jack Dahm. “Jim and Wes have both risen to the top of their professions through commitment and hard work. This banquet will be the beginning of an exciting new era in Iowa baseball.”
Chicago Cubs GM Jim Hendry.
Hendry was instrumental in leading the Cubs to the 2003 National League Central Division title and the National League Championship Series for the first time since the 1989 season. Prior to joining the Cubs, Hendry was the head coach for the Creighton Bluejays, where he was named the National Coach of the Year in 1991 after leading his team to the College World Series and a third place finish nationally.
Obermueller pitched in twelve games, including 11 starts, in 2003 compiling a 2-5 record with a 5.07 ERA. The former Hawkeye pitched 65 2/3 innings and struck out 34 batters. Obermueller made his major league debut vs. Cleveland during the 2002 season, while a member of the Kansas City Royals.
Individual tickets for the event are $40 for the 6-7 p.m. V.I.P. Reception, which includes a reserved seat, food, drinks and photo with Hendry, Obermueller and Dahm. Fans can purchase a reserved table for nine ($325), which will include a current Iowa baseball student-athlete.
Fans can also purchase general admission tickets for $25, which includes the dinner and program that starts at 7 p.m. A youth ticket (13-and-under) to the dinner costs $15. Current Iowa baseball players will be available for an autograph session from 6:30-7:00.
Former Hawkeye and current Milwaukee Brewer Wes Obermueller.
There will be live and silent auctions for the ultimate baseball fan. The silent auctions and prizes will include the following items and more:
– Three tickets for two games of the Giants vs. Rockies series, July 17-18. The package will include airfare and hotel accommodations at the Embassy Suites. The winner of this prize will get to throw out the first pitch on July 17 at Coors Field in Denver, CO.
– Four tickets to two Cubs games during a weekend series. The weekend package includes a tour of Wrigley Field and the opportunity to be on the field during batting practice.- Chicago Cubs autographed memorabilia.
– Autographed memorabilia from current and future Hall of Famers including Sammy Sosa, Alex Rodriguez, Dennis Eckersley, Robin Yount and Steve Carlton.
– Tickets and a 20-person diamond suite for a Cedar Rapids Kernels game.
– A Des Moines I-Cubs suite at Sec Taylor Stadium for the I-Cubs/Hawkeye Baseball Classic on March 26-28. The suite will accommodate 20 people per game.
To purchase tickets in advance, or for questions, call the Iowa Baseball Office at (319) 335-9329.