June 29, 2004
|Iowa City, IA was the site of the first college basketball game played with five players on a side. The historic event took place in Close Hall on the University of Iowa campus on January 18, 1896.
In that first game, the University of Chicago defeated Iowa 15-12, with neither team using any substitutes.
The game was arranged by Iowa professor H.F. Kallenberg, who had earlier attended Spring Field College, and wrote James Naismith for a copy of the rules of the game, and Amos Alonzo Stagg, a friend of Kallenberg who had become the athletic director at Chicago.