Gophers Hand Iowa 1-0 Overtime Loss

Oct. 8, 2006

Box Score

IOWA CITY – The University of Iowa women’s soccer team suffered a heartbreaking 1-0 loss to Minnesota Sunday at the Iowa Soccer Complex. The Hawkeyes managed to outshoot Minnesota 13-7 and gained seven corners in the match, but couldn’t find the back of the net in 91 minutes of play.

Minnesota netted the game-winner in the first minute of overtime off a corner. The ball was sent to the back post where Renee de St. Aubin headed the ball across the box. Sara Clancy was there to fire the ball past the Iowa defense and into the back of the net for the win.

Iowa’s offense started out strong, earning four corners in the first nine minutes of the match, but Minnesota’s backline held the Hawkeyes in check.

The Hawkeyes had a few chances off set pieces in the first half, including a free kick by sophomore Kelly Warner. After one of Minnesota’s 23 fouls, Warner took a free kick from 20 yards out. The ball curved to the opposite upper-90, but Gopher goalkeeper Lindsey Dare made a jumping save to deny Warner the goal.

Iowa held possession in the second half and created more scoring chances. Sophomore Stephanie Hyink got behind the Gopher defense and had a breakaway with Dare. Hyink fired a shot, but it was right to Dare for the easy save.

Hyink had another shot in the 87th minute to put the Hawkeyes on top. Junior Melisa Kaetterhenry took a pass down the right side and sent a cross into the box. Hyink attempted a volley near the penalty spot but the ball sailed wide.

Iowa’s defense played a solid match and limited the Gophers to just seven shots. Iowa outshot Minnesota 8-2 in the first half.

“It was nice to outshoot someone and gain seven corners,” Head Coach Ron Rainey said. “We still need to work on the little things when it comes to scoring chances. We are creating them, now we just need to finish.”

Iowa returns to Big Ten action Friday at Michigan. First kick will be at 6 p.m.

Minnesota 1, Iowa 0 (OT)
0-1 UM Sara Clancy (off corner, header assist from Renee de St. Aubin) 92nd minute