March 25, 2007
BLOOMINGTON, IN – The University of Iowa men’s tennis team was defeated by No. 68 Indiana, 6-1, Sunday. The Hawkeyes won one singles match and one doubles match.
In doubles action, the team of juniors Bart van Monsjou and J.P. Ritchie was defeated by Richter and McLoughlin in the No. 1 match, 8-6. Iowa’s team of sophomore Greg Holm and freshman Walker Grimes defeated Bubenicek and Antons, 8-3, in the No. 2 match. In the No. 3 match, sophomore Christian Bierich and freshman Tommy McGeorge fell to Roussel and Kendal, 8-3.
The Hawkeyes had one victory in singles competition. In the No. 5 spot, McGeorge defeated Antons, 6-4, 6-4.
With this loss, the Hawkeyes fall to 7-5. They return to action March 30 by hosting Penn State. Competition is scheduled to begin at 2 p.m. at the Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex.
#68 Indiana 6
1. #103 Thomas Richter (Indiana) def. Bart van Monsjou (Iowa) 3-6, 6-1, 2-3, retired
2. David Bubenicek (Indiana) def. Christian Bierich (Iowa) 6-1, 6-3
3. Dara McLoughlin (Indiana) def. J.P. Ritchie (Iowa) 6-2, 7-6 (8-6)
4. Arnaud Roussel (Indiana) def. Reinoud Haal (Iowa) 6-4, 6-2
5. Tommy McGeorge (Iowa) def. Peter Antons (Indiana) 6-4, 6-4
6. Mak Kendall (Indiana) def. Gregory Holm (Iowa) 4-6, 6-1, 6-2
1. Thomas Richter/Dara McLoughlin (Indiana) def. van Monsjou/Ritchie (Iowa) 8-6
2. Holm/Walker Grimes (Iowa) def. David Bubenicek/Peter Antons (Indiana) 8-3
3. Arnaud Roussel/Mak Kendall (Indiana) def. Bierich/McGeorge (Iowa) 8-3
Click HERE for more information about the Big Ten Network.