April 7, 2007
EAST LANSING, MI – The University of Iowa men’s tennis team was defeated by Michigan State, 5-2, Saturday in East Lansing, MI. The Hawkeyes won two singles matches and one doubles match.
Junior Bart van Monsjou returned to Iowa’s lineup Saturday. He teamed with junior J.P. Ritchie in the No. 1 doubles spot, but they were defeated by Allare and Rinks, 8-5. In the No. 2 match, sophomore Greg Holm and freshman Walker Grimes fell to Forger and Flowers, 9-7. Freshman Tommy McGeorge and sophomore Christian Bierich clinched a win for Iowa in the No. 3 spot as they defeated Monich and Sauerbrey, 8-5.
Playing in the No.1 singles spot, van Monsjou was defeated by 45th-ranked Rinks, 6-2, 6-2. Ritchie fell to Forger, 7-5, 6-2, in the No. 2 match. Bierich played the No. 3 spot and was defeated by Allare, 7-5, 3-6, 6-1. Freshman Reinoud Haal was defeated in the No. 4 match by Monich, 6-4, 6-4. Iowa secured its first singles victory of the match in the No. 5 spot when McGeorge defeated Rasmussen, 6-2, 6-1. Freshman Patrick Dwyer was also victorious, winning the No. 6 match against Norville, 6-3, 6-7 (2-7), 6-4.
With this loss, the Hawkeyes fall to 7-8 overall and 0-5 in the Big Ten. They will return to action April 11 when they face Minnesota in Minneapolis, MN. First serve is scheduled for 2 p.m.
Michigan State 5
1. #45 Nick Rinks (MSU) def. Bart van Monsjou (Iowa) 6-2, 6-2
2. Alex Forger (MSU) def. J.P. Ritchie (Iowa) 7-5, 6-2
3. John Allare (MSU) def. Christian Bierich (Iowa) 7-5, 3-6, 6-1
4. Adam Monich (MSU) def. Reinoud Haal (Iowa) 6-4, 6-4
5. Tommy McGeorge (Iowa) def. Scott Rasmussen (MSU) 6-2, 6-1
6. Patrick Dwyer (Iowa) def. Jason Norville (MSU) 6-3, 6-7 (2-7), 6-4
1. Allare/Rinks (MSU) def. Ritchie/van Monsjou (Iowa) 8-5
2. Forger/Michael Flowers (MSU) def. Gregory Holm/Walker Grimes (Iowa) 9-7
3. McGeorge/Bierich (Iowa) def. Monich/Tyler Sauerbrey (MSU) 8-5
Click HERE for more information about the Big Ten Network.