April 26, 2007
WEST LAFAYETTE, IN – The University of Iowa men’s tennis team competed in the first round of the 2007 Big Ten Championships Thursday, hosted by Purdue. The Hawkeyes were defeated by Indiana, 4-3.
Iowa began by winning two doubles matches to secure the doubles point. In the No. 1 position, juniors Bart van Monsjou and J.P. Ritchie defeated McLoughlin and Richter, 8-5. Sophomore Greg Holm and freshman Walker Grimes defeated Roussel and Bubenicek, 9-7, in the No. 2 match.
The Hawkeyes couldn’t keep up with Indiana in singles competition. Indiana captured four wins, while Iowa took two. In the No. 1 spot, van Monsjou defeated Richter, 6-2, 6-0. Freshman Tommy McGeorge defeated Antons, 6-4, 6-2, in the No. 5 spot.
This match concludes the 2007 season for the Hawkeyes. They finish 8-13 overall and 1-10 in the Big Ten.
#67 Indiana 4
1. Bart van Monsjou (Iowa) def. Thomas Richter (Indiana) 6-2, 6-0
2. David Bubenicek (Indiana) def. J.P. Ritchie (Iowa) 6-3, 6-4
3. Dara McLoughlin (Indiana) def. Christian Bierich (Iowa) 7-5, 6-4
4. Arnaud Roussel (Indiana) def. Reinoud Haal (Iowa) 6-3, 6-2
5. Tommy McGeorge (Iowa) def. Peter Antons (Indiana) 6-4, 6-2
6. Mak Kendall (Indiana) def. Patrick Dwyer (Iowa) 6-3, 6-2
1. van Monsjou/Ritchie (Iowa) def. McLoughlin/Richter (Indiana) 8-5
2. Gregory Holm/Walker Grimes (Iowa) def. Roussel/Bubenicek (Indiana) 9-7
3. Haal/Bierich (Iowa) vs. Kendall/Antons (Indiana) no result
Click HERE for more information about the Big Ten Network.