April 4, 2009
April 4, 2009
The University of Iowa women’s tennis team was defeated by the Indiana Hoosiers in Bloomington, IN today, 4-3. This brings the Hawkeyes to 7-10 ( 2-4 Big Ten) this season.
Iowa grabbed their first doubles point of conference play, with wins by sophomore Jessica Young and freshman Sonja Molnar in the No. 1 position (9-8) and sophomore Alexis Dorr and junior Kelcie Klockenga at the No. 2 spot (8-5).
The Hawkeyes headed into the singles competition up 1-0 to the Hoosiers in team standings. Molnar, #87 nationally, grabbed her 14th win of the season at the No. 1 position, with a victory over Katya Zapadalova 6-3, 6-0. Sophomore Lynne Poggensee-Wei was the next Hawkeye to finish, falling to Alba Berdala at the No. 3 position, 6-4, 6-1. Freshman Ally Majercik was defeated at the No. 6 spot by Myriam Sopel 6-4, 6-2, while Young fell to Lindsey Stucky in a three-set match at the No. 5 position 6-0, 2-6, 7-6. Dorr went away victorious over Charlott Martin at the No. 2 spot in a three-set match 3-6, 6-2, 6-4 tying the meet at 3-3. The final point, and meet victory lay on the shoulders of Klockenga at the No. 4 position. After winning the first set 6-1, Klockenga fell to Sigrid Fischer in the following two sets 7-5, 7-5.
“It was a great match and we played well,” said Hawkeye Head Coach Daryl Greenan. “We had all kinds of opportunities, but we just couldn’t seal the deal on what have been a huge win for us. We are doing a lot of things right. We just need to head into tomorrow with the same mentality and put forth the same effort that we did today. We finally grabbed the doubles point, and were able to head into singles play with a positive mentality. Bottom line is we needed four points, but we only got three. I’m proud of the way we competed; we just came up a little short.”
Iowa will return to the courts tomorrow to face No. 40 Illinois at 12 p.m. at the Atkins Tennis Center in Champaign, IL.
1. Jessica Young/Sonja Molnar (Iowa) def. Maria Guerreiro/Katya Zapadalova (Indiana) 9-8
2. Alexis Dorr/Kelcie Klockenga (Iowa) def. Charlotts Martin/Sigrid Fischer (Indiana) 8-5
3. Lindsey Stuckey/Myriam Sopel (Indiana) def. Ally Majercik/Lynne Poggensee-Wei (Iowa) 8-6
1. #87 Sonja Molnar (Iowa) def. Katya Zapadalova (Indiana) 6-3, 6-0
2. Alexis Dorr (Iowa) def. Charlott Martin (Indiana) 3-6, 6-2, 6-4
3. Alba Berdala (Indiana) def. Lynne Poggensee-Wei (Iowa) 6-4, 6-1
4. Sigrid Fischer (Iowa) def. Kelcie Klockenga (Iowa) 1-6, 7-5, 7-5
5. Lindsey Stuckey (Indiana) def Jessica Young (Iowa) 6-0, 2-6, 7-6
6. Myriam Sopel (Indiana) def. Ally Majercik (Iowa) 6-4, 6-2
Iowa 7-10, 2-4; National ranking 69
Indiana 11-7, 3-2; National ranking 41
Order of Finish: Doubles (3,2,1) Singles (1,3,6,5,2,4)