Feb. 25, 2014
- Read the February issue of Hawk Talk Monthly
- Download your Hawk Talk Monthly iOS app
- Download your Hawk Talk Monthly android app
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye iPad and iPhone app!
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye Android app!
- Big Ten Network: Free Hawkeye Video
- 24 Hawkeyes to Watch
IOWA CITY, Iowa — The University of Iowa women’s tennis team improved to 5-3 overall with a 7-0 win over UMKC on Tuesday afternoon at the Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex.
Iowa swept the singles matches and won at the No. 2 and No. 3 doubles positions to improve to 4-1 at home and earn its third shutout of the season.
“The team did a good job competing and controlling the tempo today,” said UI head coach Katie Dougherty. “We played smart throughout today and continued to build on everything we’ve done so far this year.”
Sophomore Annette Dohanics and junior Shelby Talcott teamed up at No. 2 doubles and improved to 3-2 on the year with an 8-1 win. Senior Ruth Seaborne and freshman Aimee Tarun were paired together for the first time this year and won, 8-2, at No. 3.
Silver and Talcott pushed Iowa’s lead to 3-0 with a pair of wins at the No. 5 and No. 2 positions. Silver won for the second time this season at the No. 5 spot, disposing of Gaby Pintos in straight sets, 6-0, 6-0. Talcott won for the third time this season in the No. 2 hole. She improved to 6-1 overall with a 6-0, 6-1 win. Her six wins are a team-high.
Junior Katie Zordani clinched the match for Iowa with a 6-0, 6-0 straight set win over Maddie Schulte. Zordani improved to 2-0 this year at the No. 3 position.
“I thought that everyone competed well,” said Zordani. “We fought hard and got the job done today on the court.”
Freshman Aimee Tarun improved to 2-0 on the year with a 6-1, 6-1 win over Linda Ammar Mouhoub at No. 6 singles, and senior Ruth Seaborne, ranked No. 82 nationally, improved to 5-3 overall with a 6-3, 6-0 win at No. 1 singles.
Iowa got its final win from Dohanics at the No. 6 position. After winning the first set, 6-3, Dohanics rallied from a 5-4 deficit to top Mariam Kurasbediani, 7-6 (7-5), in the second set tiebreak.
Iowa returns to the court Saturday at 1 p.m. (CT). The Hawkeyes host Chicago State at the Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex. Saturday is kids’ day at the HTRC. Kids of all ages will receive free pizza and are invited to participate in a WII tennis challenge beginning at 12 p.m. (CT).
Iowa 7, UMKC 0
1. #82 Ruth Seaborne (IOWA) def. Dimitra Stravrianakou (UMKC), 6-3, 6-0
2. Shelby Talcott (IOWA) def. Raquel Argenal (UMKC), 6-0, 6-1
3. Katie Zordani (IOWA) def. Maddie Schulte (UMKC), 6-0, 6-0
4. Annette Dohanics (IOWA) def. Mariam Kurasbediani (UMKC), 6-3, 7-6
5. Ellen Silver (IOWA) def. Gaby Pintos (UMKC), 6-0, 6-0
6. Aimee Tarun (IOWA) def. Linda Ammar Mouhoub (UMKC), 6-1, 6-1
Order of finish: 5, 2, 3, 6, 1, 4
1. Ellen Silver/Katie Zordani (IOWA) vs. Linda Ammar Mouhaub (UMKC), 3-3 (dnf)
2. Annette Dohanics/Shelby Talcott (IOWA) def. Gaby Pintos/Maddie Schulte, 8-1
3. Ruth Seaborne/Aimee Tarun (IOWA) def. Raquel Arenal/Mariam Luasbediani, 8-3
Order of finish: 2,3, dnf