The University of Iowa women’s golf team hits the road next week to compete in the Greenville Regional Preview on Oct. 17-18 at the Ironwood Golf Course in Greenville, North Carolina.
• Monday, Oct.17 — First and Second Rounds — 8:30 am
• Tuesday, Oct. 18 — Final Round — 8:30 am
Live scoring will be available throughout the tournament on Golfstat.com. Links can be found on the Iowa women’s golf schedule page at hawkeyesports.com.
The field of eighteen teams includes: Augusta, Campbell, Clemson, Colorado State, Coastal Carolina, Denver, East Carolina, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas State, Mississippi State, Middle Tennessee State, Old Dominion, Oregon, Texas Christian, and Virginia Tech.
In the number one spot will be freshman Sophie Liu, followed by junior Morgan Kukla. Junior Jessica Ip, senior Jessie Sindlinger, and sophomore Shawn Rennegarbe round out the Hawkeye lineup.
• The Ironwood Golf Course — Par 72 — 6,634 yards.
• The course travels through 200 acres of rolling wooded terrain, revealing scenic vistas of the Tar River, ponds, and native wildlife.
• The Ironwood Golf Course opened in May of 1996 and was designed by golf course architect Lee Trevino.
• Lee Trevino was a great golfer who won 29 PGA events, including six majors. He extended his career on the Senior PGA with 29 more victories. The course is one of the few signature Lee Trevino courses.
• This is the first time the Iowa women’s golf team has participated in the Greenville Regional Preview.
• The tournament is hosted by East Carolina University in Greenville, North Carolina.
LAST TIME OUT
The Hawkeyes traveled to Vail, Colorado, for the Golfweek Conference Challenge on Sept. 26-28. They placed 14th, carding a 915 (+51; 299, 310, 306).
• Freshman Sophie Liu lead the Hawkeyes with a three-round total of 223 (+7; 75; 76, 72) to tie for 33rd — posting her best 18-hole and 54-hole performance so far in her collegeiate career.
• Juniors Jessica Ip and Elisa Suarez followed with a score of 231 (+15) to tie for 63rd.
• Rounding out the Hawkeyes were senior Jessie Sindlinger with a score of 236 (+20; 77, 80, 79) and sophomore Shawn Rennegarbe, carding a 237 (+21; 76, 85, 76) in her Hawkeye debut.
HAWKEYES START OFF SEASON
The Hawkeyes kicked off their season at the Red Raider Invitational on Sept. 12-13, where they tied for sixth-place, carding a 907 (+43; 300, 303, 304).
• Junior Jessica Ip lead the team with a second-place finish and a three-round total of 215 (-1; 71, 74, 70). Ip’s total marked the sixth-lowest individual performance for 54-holes in Iowa history.
• Freshman Sophie Liu made her collegiate debut with a score of 226 (+10; 77, 74, 75) to tie for 22nd overall.
• Rounding out the Hawkeyes were junior Morgan Kukla with a 227 (+11; 74, 76, 77), senior Jessie Sindlinger with a score of 239 (+23; 78, 79, 82), and junior Elisa Suarez carding a 251 (+35; 88, 80, 83).
THREE NAMED TO B1G TEN PRESEASON HONOREES
Three members of the University of Iowa women’s golf team — senior Jessie Sindlinger, junior Jessica Ip, and freshman Sophie Liu — were named 2016-17 Big Ten Women’s Golf Preseason Honorees.
• Jessie Sindlinger competed in all six competitions in the spring, averaging a 73.7 strokes per-round — the best on the team.
• Jessica Ip competed in all six competitions, scoring a 74.4 stroke average — the second best on the team. Ip earned the first medalist honor of her career, winning the Diane Thomason invite with a four-under-par 212 on Sept. 13.
• Sophie Liu is beginning her collegiate career this fall. The Vancouver, British Columbia, native was one of just six freshmen named to the watch list.
This season, the Hawkeyes welcome three newcomers — Shawn Rennegarbe, Sarah Overton, and Sophie Liu — to the 2016-17 squad. Rennegarbe is a sophomore transfer from Arkansas with three years of eligibility remaining. Liu and Overton are incoming freshman this year.
ON THE HORIZON:
The Iowa women’s golf team heads to Wilmington, North Carolina, for the Landfall Tradition on Oct. 28-30.