MILLWAUKEE, WI – The University of Iowa women’s tennis team defeated Western Michigan and Marquette Saturday. The Hawkeyes have started the season 7-0 for the first time since 2008.
Iowa started the day by defeating Western Michigan, 4-3. Iowa won the doubles point with Elise van Heuvelen and Zoe Douglas winning at the No. 1 doubles spot, and Aimee Tarun and Natalie Looney winning at the No. 3 position.
The Hawkeyes won three singles matches to secure their first victory of the night. Anastasia Reimchen, Kristen Thoms, and Adorabol Huckleby all won their singles matches to give Iowa the, 4-3 victory.
Iowa continued its success in the second match of the day defeating Marquette, 5-2.
Douglas and van Heuvelen won their doubles match, 6-3. Tarun and Looney clinched the doubles point for Iowa when they won in the No. 3 doubles position, 6-3.
The Hawkeyes would go on to win four singles matches. Reimchen, Thoms, Huckleby, and Crawford all won their matches, giving Iowa its best start since 2008.
The Hawkeyes are back in action next Sunday when they take on UT Arlington at 11 a.m. (CT) in Arlington, Texas.
Iowa vs Western Michigan, 4-3
- Lyubomirora def. van Heuvelen, 6-4. 3-6, 6-2
- Kuhle def. Douglas, 6-4, 6-4
- Reimchen def. Myers, 6-0, 6-3
- Thoms def. Fevralev, 6-1, 6-3
- Huckleby def. Evistavi, 6-3, 6-4
- Azcui def. Crawford, 6-3, 2-6, 10-5
- van Heuvelen/Douglas def. Evistavi/Lyuloomirova, 7-5
- Reimchen/Huckleby vs. Azcni/Myers, UF
- Tarun/Looney def. Fevalev/Kuhle, 6-0
Iowa vs. Marquette, 5-2
- Ambrosio def. van Heuvelen , 6-4, 6-4
- Tormos def. Douglas, 6-0, 6-4
- Reimchen def. Eggink, 6-1, 6-2
- Thoms def. Tokar, 6-1, 6-1
- Huckleby def. Hebard, 6-3, 6-4
- Crawford def. Franks, 6-3, 7-5
- van Heuvelen/Douglas, def Ambrosio/Tormos. 6-3
- Eggink/Hebard def. Reimchen/Huckleby, 6-1
- Tarun/Looney def. Tormos/Foe, 6-3