ATHENS, Ga. — The University of Iowa men’s tennis team lost, 4-0, to No. 4 Georgia Sunday afternoon at the Lindsey Hopkins Indoor Courts in the ITA Kickoff.
Iowa opened the match with a win on court three in doubles. Senior Jake Jacoby and freshmen Joe Tyler made quick work of Diaz and Ponwith, winning by the score of 6-3.
The Hawkeyes fought hard on courts one and two, but ultimately fell in tiebreakers to lose the doubles point. Sophomore Kareem Allaf and junior Jonas Larsen lost, 7-3, in the tiebreak to the seventh-ranked doubles team in the country. The freshmen duo of Will Davies and Piotr Smietana hung tough but eventually lost, 10-8, in the tiebreaker in the doubles clinching match for the Bulldogs on court two.
In singles competition, Iowa faced five ranked opponents, including four in the Top 35. Senior Josh Silverstein, Tyler, and Allaf lost on courts one, three, and four in straight sets. Smietana, Larsen, and Davies’ singles matches were unfinished.
The Hawkeyes will square off against another SEC opponent, Arkansas, on Monday at 10 a.m. (ET) in the consolation match. The Razorbacks were edged, 4-3, by Memphis on Sunday in the ITA Kickoff.
QUOTING HEAD COACH ROSS WILSON
“We continued to play great doubles today, but unfortunately we couldn’t finish the match at No. 1 doubles when we served for it at 6-5 and had match point in the tiebreaker at No. 2 doubles.”
(#4) Georgia 4, Iowa 0
Jan. 28, 2018 | 2 p.m. | Athens, Ga. | Lindsey Hopkins Indoor Courts
1. #12 Wayne Montgomery (UGA) def. Josh Silverstein (UI): 6-1, 6-0
2. #25 Emil Reinberg (UGA) vs. Piotr Smietana (UI): 6-7(2), 4-2 (unfinished)
3. #66 Nathan Ponwith (UGA) def. Joe Tyler (UI): 6-3, 6-1
4. #30 Jan Zielenski (UGA) def. Kareem Allaf (UI): 7-5, 6-3
5. #33 Walker Duncan (UGA) vs. Jonas Larsen (UI): 5-3 (unfinished)
6. Robert Loeb (UGA) vs. Will Davies (UI): 3-2 (unfinished)
1. #7 Loeb/Zielenski (UGA) def. Allaf/Larsen (UI): 7-6(3)
2. Duncan/Montgomery (UGA) def. Smietana/Davies (UI): 7-6(8)
3. Tyler/Jacoby (UI) def. Diaz/Ponwith (UGA): 6-3
#4 Georgia: 1-0
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (1,3,4)