CORAL GABLES, Florida — The University of Iowa men’s tennis team dropped a 5-2 decision on Sunday at Miami. The match was played outdoors at the Neill Schiff Tennis Center.
Iowa opened the meet with wins on courts one and two to clinch the doubles point. Today marked the fourth time in five matches this spring that the Hawkeyes have opened a match by winning the doubles point.
Sophomore Kareem Allaf and junior Jonas Larsen continue their winning ways by downing Miami’s No. 1 doubles team, 6-2. Freshmen Piotr Smietana and Will Davies continue to shine in crunch time pulling out a, 7-6(4) tiebreaker victory on court two to clinch the doubles point.
In singles competition, four of the six matches extended to three sets. Davies outlasted Tatsuki Shimamoto (6-3, 3-6, 6-2) on court six to record Iowa’s only singles win. Joe Tyler, Larsen and Smietana all lost their respective singles matches in three sets.
The Hawkeyes will square off against in-state rival Drake in Des Moines on Friday at 6 p.m. (CT).
Miami 5, Iowa 2
Feb. 4, 2018 | 10 a.m. (ET)| Coral Gables, Florida | Neill Schiff Tennis Center
1. #78 Christian Langmo (MIAMI) def. Piotr Smietana (UI): 6-3, 3-6, 6-3
2. Adria Soriano (MIAMI) def. Josh Silverstein (UI): 6-0, 6-3
3. #71 Bojan Janulovski (MIAMI) def. Kareem Allaf (UI): 7-6(2), 6-2
4. Dane Dunlap (MIAMI) def. Joe Tyler (UI): 6-3, 2-6, 7-6(2)
5. Niclas Grnovese (MIAMI) vs. Jonas Larsen (UI): 3-6, 6-3, 6-2
6. Will Davies (UI) def. Tatsuki Shimamoto (MIAMI): 6-3, 3-6, 6-2
1. Allaf/Larsen (UI) def. Soriano/Jankulovski (MIAMI): 6-2
2. Smietana/Davies (UI) def. Aycart/Clark (MIAMI): 7-6(4)
3. Langmo/Dunlap (MIAMI) def. Jacoby/Tyler (UI): 6-4
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (2,3,5,1,4,6)