IOWA CITY, Iowa — The No. 42 University of Iowa men’s tennis team rolled to a 7-0 triumph over Omaha at the Hawkeye Tennis & Recreation Complex (HTRC) Sunday night.
The Hawkeyes cruised to the doubles point for the 11th time in 14 matches this spring. Iowa’s freshmen duo of Will Davies/Piotr Smietana won their 10th consecutive match by taking down the doubles team of Grigorscu/Woodward on court two, 6-2. The doubles point was clinched by Jake Jacoby/Joe Tyler, who defeated the tandem from Omaha, 6-1.
Redshirt sophomore Kareem Allaf picked up the first singles win of the night for the Hawkeyes, winning in straight sets at No. 3 over Nathan Reekie, 6-1, 6-4.
Smietana and Tyler won their singles matches convincingly on courts two and four, respectively. Smietana won for the fifth time in seven matches, while Tyler won for the sixth time in seven matches.
Josh Silverstein earned the Hawkeyes’ five point with his 6-4, 2-6, 10-6 win against Omaha’s No. 1 player. Larsen defeated Woodward of Omaha in straight sets, picking up his fifth win of the spring. Jacoby won on court six, 6-3, 6-4, clinching the shutout and a clean sweep for the Hawkeyes.
- Iowa has defeated Omaha in each of the past two seasons.
- Iowa has won the doubles point in 11 of its 14 matches this season.
- The Hawkeyes have won seven of their last eight matches.
The nationally-ranked Hawkeyes will compete against Texas Tech in a neutral site match in La Jolla, California, on March 12.
WILL DAVIES ON DOUBLES SUCCESS:
“It was great to get another win playing with Piotr (Smietana). We play really good tennis together. Anytime you win it’s a great feeling. Now that we have won 10 in a row, it’s becoming a lot of fun; we’re going out and playing our game. As a team when we play good doubles we already have an edge on our opponent being up one. Every point is crucial and if we can capture it every time we have a chance to be very successful this season.”
#42 Iowa 7, Omaha 0
March 4, 2018 | 5 p.m. (CT) | Iowa City, Iowa | HTRC
1. Josh Silverstein (UI) def. Razvan Grigorescu (UO): 6-4, 2-6, 10-6
2. Piotr Smietana (UI) def. Abdoul Outtara (UO): 6-2, 6-4
3. Kareem Allaf (UI) def. Nathan Reekie (UO): 6-1, 6-4
4. Joe Tyler (UI): def. Matt Dunn (UO): 6-0, 7-5
5. Jonas Larsen (UI) def. Alex Woodward (UO): 6-2, 6-3
6. Jake Jacoby (UI) def. Marko Minic (UO): 6-3, 6-4
1. Allaf/Larsen (UI) vs Reekie/Ouattara (UO): 5-2, unfinished
2. Smietana/Davies (UI) def. Grigorescu/Woodward (UO): 6-2
3. Tyler/Jacoby (UI) def. Dunn/Moorehead (UO): 6-1
#42 Iowa: 8-6
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3); Singles (3,2,4,1,5,6)