The University of Iowa women’s golf team travels to Tempe, Arizona, to compete in the Arizona State Invitational this weekend.
- Friday, March 23 — First Round– 10:00 a.m. (CT)
- Saturday, March 24 — Second Round — 10:00 a.m. (CT)
- Sunday, March 25 — Third Round — 9:30 a.m. (CT)
Live scoring will be available throughout the tournament on Golfstat.com. Links can be found on the Iowa women’s golf schedule page at hawkeyesports.com.
The field includes 14 teams (Golfstat Relative Rankings): Iowa, Washington (16), TCU, Arizona (15), Arizona State (8), Colorado (18), Denver (41), Fresno State, Georgia (50), Oregon, Washington State, New Mexico, Oklahoma State (17), and UNLV (36).
Senior Jessica Ip will be in the number one spot this week. She will be followed by junior Shawn Rennegarbe, freshman Rachel Fujitani, junior Kristin Glesne, and freshman Stephanie Herzog. Redshirt freshman Sarah Overton will compete as an individual.
- The ASU Karsten Golf Course is a Scottish links-style course designed by Pete Dye.
- This course features rolling hills, railroad ties, and Dye’s signature mounding and creative bunkering.
HISTORICALLY AT THE ARIZONA STATE INVITATIONAL
- This will be Iowa’s first time competing in this tournament.
- Iowa competed in Arizona on March 5-6 in the Arizona Wildcat Invitational in Tucson. The Hawkeyes finished 16th with a three-round score of 915 (+51).
LAST TIME OUT
Iowa hosted the Hawkeye El-Tigre Invitational, where they posted a 54-hole score of 906 (+42) to tie for 10th.
- Senior Jessica Ip recorded her second top-20 finish of the season, tying for 11th with a three-round score of 222 (+6).
- Freshman Stephanie Herzog jumped 13 spots in the third round to tie for 57th with a 54-hole score of 235 (+19).
- Freshman Annalee Dannegger made her Hawkeye debut. She carded a 54-hole score of 260 (+44) to finish 78th.
COMPETING WITH THE BEST
- Through seven tournaments, Iowa has competed against 44 top-50 teams according to Golfstat Relative Rankings.
- Eight of those 44 opponents are ranked in the top-10, including No. 1 UCLA and No. 2 Alabama.
- Iowa has faced 22 top-25 opponents this season.
- Iowa opened the season at the Branch Law Firm Invitational, tying for seventh with No. 18 ranked Iowa State and New Mexico.
- The Hawkeyes will face another strong field this week with eight teams ranked in the Golfstat Relative Rankings top-50.
- Through three spring tournaments, Iowa has a team stroke average of 75.2.
- The Hawkeyes best finish of the spring was at the Hawkeye El-Tigre Invitational where they tied for 10th.
- Senior Jessica Ip has recorded one round at-or-below par in each of the first three tournaments to begin the spring. She carded the lowest individual round at the Westbrook Spring Invitational with a 67 (-5).
- Ip has the best individual finish on the team, tying for 11th at the Hawkeye El-Tigre Invitational with a 54-hole score of 222 (+6).
THREE NAMED BIG TEN PRESEASON HONOREES
Three members of the University of Iowa women’s golf team — seniors Jessica Ip and Morgan Kukla, and sophomore Sophie Liu — were named 2017-18 Big Ten Women’s Golf Preseason Honorees.
- Ip competed in all six competitions last spring, finishing with a 74.2 stroke average — the best on the team.
- Liu competed in all six competitions last season, scoring a 77.0 stroke average — the second best on the team.
- Kukla appeared in seven of Iowa’s 10 tournaments last season, carding a career-best 18-hole score of 71 (-1) at the Hawkeye El-Tigre Invitational.
This season, the Hawkeyes welcome three newcomers — Annalee Dannegger, Rachel Fujitani, and Stephanie Herzog– to the 2017-18 squad. Dannegger is from Wheaton, Illinois, Fujitani is from Phoenix, Arizona, and Herzog is from Red Wing, Minnesota.
ON THE HORIZON
Iowa travels to Carollton, Texas, to compete in the Bruzzy Challenge on April 1-3.