GAINESVILLE, Fla. — The 2018 Pepsi Florida Relays ramped up competition with a full day of track and field where the University of Iowa track and field set sixmore all-time marks on Friday afternoon.
ENTERING THE ALL-TIME LIST
Mallory King (800 meters), Tysen VanDraska (800 meters),) Matt Manternach (800 meters), Kevin Docherty (1,500 meters), and Nathan Mylenek (3,000-meter steeplechase), Andrea Shine (10,000 meters) all entered Iowa’s all-time top-10.
Nathan Mylenek set a new personal best in the 3,000-meter steeplechase at the Stanford Invitational with a time of 8:48.66. Mylenek’s time is second in school history behind Deacon Jones’ 8:47.40 from 1956.
Shine’s 33:50.25 in the 10,000-meters in Stanford is a new personal best for her and ranks as the sixth fastest time in school history.
VanDraska ran 1:49.65 in the 800 meters to place 18th overall and eighth all-time, while Manternach finished 22nd with a time of 1:49.80 to enter at No. 9.
King ran a six-second personal best, running 2:08.76 to record the ninth-fastest time in program history.
Kevin Docherty’s personal best in the 1,500 meters ranks ninth in program history. He ran 3:47.98 for 16th place.
GOING THE DISTANCE
- Dan Soto set a new personal best in the 5,000 meters with a time of 14:20.18.
- Karson Sommer set a seven second personal best in the 1,500 meters with a time of 3:50.16.
- Michael Melchert recorded a 30 second personal best in the 5,000 meters. Melchert ran 14:14.41.
FIGHT FOR IOWA
- Laulauga Tausaga finished runner-up in the discus throw invitational with a seasons best mark of 57.33m.
- Anthony Williams recorded a new personal best in the 110-meter hurdles with a time of 14.56. He finished 32nd.
- Chris Douglas finished third overall in the 400-meter hurdles. He ran a personal best 51.44.
- Sheridan Champe ran a personal best 54.65 in the 400 meters.
- Tia Saunders recorded a big lifetime best in the 800 meters, finishing with a time of 2:09.51.
The Hawkeyes conclude the Florida Relays tomorrow at 10 a.m. (CT). Live results are available at hawkeyesports.com/tracklive.