24 Hawkeyes to Watch 2018-19 | Hawk Talk Month – September | Hawkeye Fan Shop — A Black & Gold Store – https://hawkeyefanshop.com/?utm_source=HawkeyeSports&utm_medium=HawkeyeSports&utm_campaign=HawkeyeSports
The Hawkeyes host the Diane Thomason Invite at Finkbine Golf Course on Sept. 29-30. This will be the first time the Hawkeyes have hosted the event since 2015. Action begins Saturday with 36 holes. The tournament concludes with 18 holes on Sunday. Shotgun starts begin each day.
Saturday, Sept. 29– First and Second Round — 9 a.m.(CT)
Sunday, Sept. 30 — Final Round — 9 a.m. (CT)
Live scoring will be available throughout the tournament on golfstat.com. Links can be found on the Iowa women’s golf schedule page at hawkeyesports.com.
The field includes nine teams (Golfstat Relative Rankings): Ball State, Drake, Illinois-Chicago, Nebraska-Omaha, North Dakota State, Northern Iowa, Southern Illinois and Western Michigan.
- Southern Illinois and Ball State tied for second at the Cardinal Class on Sept. 17- 18.
- Northern Iowa has finished fourth in both of its fall tournaments.
- Northern Iowa assistant coach Jessie Sindlinger is a former Iowa golfer.
The Hawkeye lineup will include freshman Manuela Lizarazu, seniors Shawn Rennegarbe and Kristin Glesne, freshman Dana Lerner and sophomore Brett Permann. Junior Sophie Liu and sophomores Stephanie Herzog, Rachel Fujitani and Annalee Dannegger will compete as individuals.
- Finkbine Golf Course first opened in 1955 and is located on the western edge of the University of Iowa.
- Finkbine hosted the PGA VIP Pro-Am for more than 20 years.
- The course features sloped greens and sand bunkering on 17 of the 18 holes.
LAST TIME AT THE DIANE THOMASON INVITATIONAL
- Iowa captured the 2015 Diane Thomason title, carding a 54-hole total of 888 (298, 300, 290).
- Senior Kristin Glesne made her collegiate debut, tying for 29th with 17-over-par (233), posting rounds of 75, 78, and 80 as a freshman.
- This will be the first time Iowa has hosted the event since 2015.
SENIORS GEAR UP FOR LAST EVENT IN IOWA CITY
Hawkeye seniors Kristin Glesne and Shawn Rennegarbe will play in their last tournament in Iowa City.
- Glesne made her collegiate debut at the 2015 Diane Thomason Invitational, tying for 29th overall.
- Glesne registered a career-best 18-hole score of 70 (-2) and career-best 36-hole score of 156 (+12) at the 2017 Branch Law Firm Invitational
- Rennegarbe carded her career-best score at the 2017 Branch Law Firm Invitational, registering a 54-hole score of 222 (+5).
- Rennegarbe recorded a career-best finish at the 2017 Hawkeye El-Tigre Invitational, tying for 20th with a three-round total of 225 (+9)
LAST TIME OUT
The Hawkeyes competed at the Mercedes Benz Women’s Collegiate Championship on Sept. 17-18 in Knoxville, Tennessee, finishing 17th.
- Freshman Dana Lerner jumped up eight spots on the leaderboard to lead Iowa on the final day.
- Lerner carded a five-over-par 76 during the final round.
- Seniors Shawn Rennegarbe and Kristin Glesne led the Hawkeye lineup during the first two rounds.
- Rennegarbe registered a score of 150 (+10) with three birdies in the second round, climbing up 13 spots on the leaderboard.
- Glesne carded three birdies in the first round and one in the second round to card a two-round score of 155 (+13).
IOWA CITY DEBUT
For senior Shawn Rennegabe, juniors Sarah Overton and Sophie Liu, sophomores Annalee Dannegger, Rachel Fujitani, Stephanie Herzog and Brett Permann, and freshmen Dana Lerner and Manuela Lizarazu, the Diane Thomason Invitational marks their first home competition as Hawkeyes in Iowa City. The tournament will be the first and last time Rennegarbe competes in Iowa City after transferring to Iowa from Arkansas after her freshman season. Freshman Manuela Lizarazu, a native of Bogota, Colombia, played at Finkbine while competing in the Midwest Junior Championship before her college career.
THREE NAMED BIG TEN PRESEASON HONOREES
Three members of the University of Iowa women’s golf team — seniors Shawn Rennegarbe and Kristin Glesne, and sophomore Rachel Fujitani — were named 2018-19 Big Ten Women’s Golf Preseason Honorees.
- Rennegarbe competed in all 10 competitions last season including a career-best finish at the Hawkeye El-Tigre Invitational, tying for 20th, with-round total of 225 (+9).
- Fujitani competed in all six tournaments last spring. The Phoenix, Arizona, native carded her first under-par round (71; -1) at the Arizona State Invitational (March 23-25).
- Glesne competed in nine tournaments last season. She tied for 46th at the Big Ten Championships (April 20-22) with a three-round total of 227 (+11).
This season, the Hawkeyes welcome three newcomers — Brett Permann, Dana Lerner and Manuela Lizarazu to the 2018-2019 squad. Permann transferred from the University of Central Arkansas; Lerner is from Caesarea, Israel; Lizarazu is from Bogota, Colombia.
ON THE HORIZON
The Iowa women’s golf team travels to Sammamish, Washington, on Oct. 9-10 to compete in the Edean Ihlanfeldt Invitational hosted by the University of Washington.
Fans can follow @iowawomensgolf on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram to stay up to date on the latest Hawkeye news.