The University of Iowa women’s golf team travels to Starkville, Mississippi, to compete in the Magnolia Invitational, Sunday Oct. 13 – Tuesday, Oct. 15.
- Sunday, Oct. 13 — Split Tee Times — 8:00 a.m. (CT)
- Monday, Oct. 14 — Split Tee Times– 8:00 a.m. (CT)
- Tuesday, Oct. 15 — Shotgun Start — 8:30 a.m. (CT)
The Magnolia Invitational will have live scoring available on golfstat.com.
The field includes eleven teams: Auburn (36), Chattanooga, Iowa, Kennesaw State, Louisiana State (23), Mississippi State (25), Memphis, Southern Mississippi, Tennessee (48), Tulsa and Southern Florida.
The Hawkeyes’ starting lineup includes freshman Lea Zeitler, sophomore Manuela Lizarazu, freshman Morgan Goldstein and Jacquelyn Galloway and sophomore Dana Lerner. Senior Sarah Overton will be competing individually.
- The Old Waverly Golf Club in Starkville, Mississippi — Par 72, 6,320 yards–.
- The club was founded in 1988 and has been regarded as one of the truly unique private golf clubs in the United States.
- U.S. Open winner Jerry Pate and course designer Bob Cupp crafted the golf course from 360 acres of land.
- The course has been featured on the “Best of” lists published by the biggest names in Golf Media over the years:
- Golfweek’s Top 100.
- Golfweek’s #1 Residential Golf Course in Mississippi
- Golf Digest’s Top-100.
- Golf Digest’s #1 Golf Course in Mississippi.
PREVIOUSLY IN STARKVILLE
- Iowa competed in the Magnolia Invitational in 2014, when it was known as the Old Waverly Bulldog Invitational.
- The Hawkeyes finished seventh in the tournament with a three-round total of 903 (+39).
ZEITLER RANKED TOP 50
- Golfweek named freshman Lea Zeitler 40th in the country on Wednesday.
- In her opening debut at the East West Match Play Challenge, Zeitler finished fifth in stroke play and won her match-up, 5-3.
HAWKEYES TEE OFF SEASON
- The Hawkeyes competed at the UNI Dual on Sept. 2 and won with a score of 6.5 – 1.5.
- Freshman Jaquelyn Galloway (4-3), sophomore Manuela Lizarazu (2-1), senior Sarah Overton (6-5), freshman Morgan Goldstein (3-2), freshman Lilly Gentzkow (6-5) and junior Annalee Dannegger (5-4) won thier matches and Dana Lerner tied.
- The Hawkeyes also competed at the Branch Law Firm Invitational on September 9-10, placing 13th with a score of 902 (+38).
- Lizarazu tied for 58th – best finish on the team – with a three-round score of 227 (+11).
- Iowa competed in the East West Match Play Challenge on September 22-24. The Hawkeyes finished sixth in stroke play and lost in match play to Indiana, 4-1.
- Freshman Lea Zeitler finished 5th in stroke play – best finish on the team – and won her match-up, 5-3.
SCHEDULE AT A GLANCE
- The 10-meet regular season schedule includes five invites during the fall and five invites during the spring season.
- The Hawkeyes will travel to Mexico twice. Iowa will compete at the Battle of the Beach Tournament in Cabo San Lucas on November 1-3 before hosting the third-annual Hawkeye El-Tigre Invite in Puerto Vallarta on March 19-21.
ON THE HORIZON
The Iowa women’s golf team travels to San Jose Del Cabo, Mexico, to compete in Battle of the Beach on Nov. 1-3.