The University of Iowa rowing team will begin the season in Merritt Island, Florida, facing Southern Methodist on March 4 and 7. The pair of races are scrimmages.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
- The Hawkeyes 2020 spring season was cancelled last March due to the global COVID-19 pandemic.
- Thursday will be the first time Iowa competes on the water since a scrimmage at Old Dominion on March 1, 2020. That is 368 days without rowing for the Hawkeyes.
- Iowa’s 1V8 placed third at the 2019 Big Ten Championships, helping Iowa to qualify for its third consecutive NCAA Championship appearance.
- At nationals, the IV8 finished ninth overall for the highest finish by an Iowa boat in program history.
- Iowa had three finishes inside the top sixteen at the 2019 NCAA Championship
- Eve Stewart – I Eights Petite Final – 9th – 06:15.619
- Nina Lawrence – Fours C Final – 15th – 07:17.531
- Rachel Canon – II Eights C Final – 16th – 06:32.721
2020 ROSTER BREAKDOWN
- The Hawkeyes roster this year features girls from four countries: USA (50), Canada (3), England (2), Italy (1).
- 13 different states are represented on the Iowa roster.
FOLLOW THE HAWKEYES
Fans can follow the Iowa rowing program on social media on Instagram (@iowa_rowing) with live updates on Twitter (@iowarowing) and via Facebook (iowawomensrowing).
The Hawkeyes will have two weeks off before heading to Columbus, Ohio, to compete against Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Indiana, and Oregon State on March 27.