The University of Iowa women’s golf team heads to the Lone Star State to compete in the Maryb S. Kauth Invitational on April 5-6. The 54-hole tournament will be held at the San Antonio Country Club (par 72, 6,131 yards) with 36 holes being contested on Tuesday and 18 on Wednesday.
Fans can follow the tournament via live scoring at www.Golfstat.com.
Iowa’s lineup will include: junior Jacque Galloway, freshman Paula Miranda, junior Lea Zeitler, senior Dana Lerner and senior Manuela Lizarazu. Junior Morgan Goldstein will compete as an individual.
The nine team field will include: Incarnate Word, Iowa, Middle Tennessee State, Oral Roberts, Sam Houston State, SMU, Texas State, UNLV and UTSA.
• Four of the teams in the field are top 100 in the Golfstat rankings, including SMU (42), Sam Houston State (73), UTSA (84) and Middle Tennessee (89).
San Antonio Country Club is a private, 18-hole course, that has a traditional layout with small greens and trees lining the narrow fairways along with a standard cut of rough. The trees aren’t limited to the fairways though, they blanket the whole course and often shape your play. There are water hazards coming into play on a few holes and strategically placed bunkers throughout.
STRONG FINISH IN CHATTANOOGA
The Hawkeyes finished strong at the Chattanooga Classic, shooting a four-under par 284 during the final round to move up four spots to finish in a tie for 13th. The 284 total was the second-lowest round in program history.
• Three Hawkeyes finished in the red during the final round in junior Jacque Galloway (70), freshman Paula Miranda (69) and junior Lea Zeitler (70). Galloway led the team, tying for 20th with a 221 (79-72-70) to notch her best finish of the season.
• Galloway and Zeitler’s rounds were their best of the season, while Miranda’s score was her third round in the 60’s this season.
• Freshman Paula Miranda has led the Hawkeyes in five of the seven tournaments this season, including two of the three events this spring. Miranda tied for 23rd at the Westbrook Invitational with a 218, her second-best score of the season.
• All 21 rounds Miranda has played in this season have counted toward Iowa’s team score.
A CLEAR NO. 1
Freshman Paula Miranda had a strong fall season, posting a team-best 73.67 scoring average over four fall tournaments. In six tournaments this season, the Mexico native has a 74.24 scoring average over 21 rounds. She has posted one top 10 and two top 20 finishes, including a runner-up showing at the Ron Moore Women’s Intercollegiate.
• Miranda posted a score of 212 (-4) at the Ron Moore, finishing at or below par in each of her three rounds. The 212 total ranks second in school history and the final round 68 is sixth-best all-time.
• Miranda fired a season-low round of 67 at the Badger Invitational in the second event of the fall. The score is tied for the second-lowest round in school history.
• Miranda also tied for 12th at the Women’s Amateur Latin America Championships with a 72-hole score of 296.
• In her second stroke play event of the spring, Miranda fired rounds of 71, 73 and 74 to finish with a two-over par 218 to tie for 23rd at the Westbrook Invitational.
• Miranda has a team-best 49 birdies this season, averaging 2.33 per round.
The Hawkeyes will head to Pittsburgh for the 2022 Big Ten Championships from April 22-24. The championships will be held at Fox Chapel Golf Course.