March 12, 2005
FAYETTEVILLE, AR – The University of Iowa women’s track team crowned its second all-American of the 2005 NCAA Indoor Championships Saturday night when freshman Kineke Alexander placed sixth in the 400 meters (54.06). Florida’s Tiandra Ponteen won the race in 50.91.
Hawkeye sophomore Peaches Roach earned Iowa’s first all-America honor of the meet Friday night, placing sixth in the high jump (6-0). It was the first time since 1994 that the Iowa women’s team has had two student-athletes earn all-America honors at the same meet.
The Hawkeye women’s team opens the 2005 outdoor season next weekend (March 18-19) at the Coastal Carolina Invitational in Conway, SC.
Women’s 400-Meter Finals
1. Tiandra Ponteen (Florida) 50.91
2. Hazel Ann Regis (LSU) 50.92
3. Stephanie Smith (S. Carolina) 52.54
4. Shevon Stoddart (S. Carolina) 52.92
5. Ginou Etienne (Miami) 53.04
6. Kineke Alexander (Iowa) 54.06