April 3, 2005
NORTHRIDGE, CA – The University of Iowa men’s track team qualified four competitors for the 2005 NCAA Midwest Regional at the Cal State Northridge Eight-Way Meet Saturday in Northridge, CA. Iowa’s qualifiers were seniors Andy Banse and Ken Kemeny (shot put), senior Chris Voller (hammer throw) and junior Tim Brodersen (discus).
Banse, who has already qualified for the regional in the discus, won the shot put with a collegiate-best throw of 61-11 1/2, which is over a foot more than his previous best mark recorded last month. He also placed third in the discus (160-0). Kemeny placed second in the shot with a throw of 60-5 3/4. Brodersen, who had already qualified in the discus, improved his qualifying mark with a collegiate-best 177-7. He also placed sixth in the hammer (168-4). Voller placed second in the hammer with a collegiate-best 197-8. Iowa’s other event winner was senior Matt O’Hollearn in the 800 meters (1:52.59).
The Hawkeyes return to competition Saturday, April 9, at the Mark Messersmith Invitational in Cedar Falls. All events of the co-ed meet will be held at the Mark Messersmith Outdoor Track Complex on the University of Northern Iowa campus.
INDIVIDUAL EVENT RESULTS (Winner Plus Iowa Placers)
1. Jason Johnson (CPP) 10.62, 13. Ryan Niver (I) 11.36
1. Allen Lindsay (CSN) 47.50, 2. Jason Nolting (I) 47.55
1. Matt O’Hollearn (I) 1:52.59
1. Karim Chester (NAU) 206-6, 2. Chris Voller (I) 197-8, 6. Tim Brodersen (I) 168-4, 9. Kale Katt (I) 143-0
1. Manjula Wijesekaa (USC) 7-3 1/4, 3. Ryan Niver (I) 6-4 3/4
1. Andy Banse (I) 61-11 1/2, 2. Ken Kemeny (I) 60-5 3/4
1. Troy Gent (SUT) 186-2, 2. Tim Brodersen (I) 177-7, 3. Andy Banse (I) 160-0, 10. Ryan Niver (I) 125-10
1. Jeff Wheeler (NAU) 204-2, 4. Kale Katt (I) 176-11