June 9, 2005
SACRAMENTO, CA – University of Iowa freshman Kineke Alexander advanced to the 400-meter semifinals at the NCAA Outdoor Championships in Sacramento, CA, Wednesday night. The Glenside, Mesopotamia, native placed second in her heat with the seventh-best overall time of 52.90. Alexander, who earned all-America honors in the 400 meters during the indoor season, will run in the semifinals Friday at 9:40 p.m. (CT).
Also competing for Iowa on Wednesday were seniors Ken Kemeny and Chris Voller. Kemeny placed 21st in the shot put preliminaries with a throw of 57-9 1/4. Voller placed 23rd in the hammer throw preliminaries with a toss of 195-8.
Two Hawkeyes will compete in Thursday’s preliminary events. Sophomore Peaches Roach, who earned all-America high jump status indoors, will participate in the high jump, which starts at 5:00 p.m. (CT). Junior Tim Brodersen will compete in the discus, which starts at 5:15 p.m. (CT).
INDIVIDUAL EVENT RESULTS (Top 3 Plus Iowa Placers)
Women’s 400 Meters – Preliminaries
1. Monique Henderson (UCLA) 51.56
2. Tiandra Ponteen (Florida) 51.85
3. Stephanie Smith (S. Carolina) 52.43
7. Kineke Alexander (Iowa) 52.90
Men’s Hammer Throw – Preliminaries
1. Spyridon Jullien (Virginia Tech) 233-0
2. Nick Owens (N. Carolina) 218-4
3. Mattias Jons (Boise St.) 216-1
23. Chris Voller (Iowa) 195-8
Men’s Shot Put – Preliminaries
1. Edis Elkasevic (Auburn) 64-8
2. Sheldon Battle (Kansas) 63-5 1/2
3. Jeff Chakouian (Kentucky) 62-7 1/4
21. Ken Kemeny (Iowa) 57-9 3/4