March 23, 2007
The University of Iowa Athletics Department seeks applications for head men’s basketball coach.
Responsibilities: This position has primary responsibility for all phases of coaching and organizing a competitive Division I men’s basketball program within the NCAA and Big Ten Conference. The responsibilities include:
- Assessing, identifying and recruiting qualified and diverse student-athletes.
- Developing plans for the season including competitive schedule, facility needs, practice schedules, and training and conditioning programs.
- Hiring, supervising, and evaluating a diverse basketball staff.
- Providing leadership and instruction in the personal and athletic development of student-athletes.
- Preparing budget recommendations and managing the budget.
- Establishing and maintaining effective relationships with the University community and its various constituents.
- Promoting the sport, program and University through media and fund-raising opportunities.
- Adhering to all rules and regulations of the University, Big Ten Conference and NCAA.
- Performing other duties as assigned.
Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree (or international equivalent) required; Master’s degree preferred. Required qualifications include: demonstrated knowledge of NCAA rules, a proven commitment to high ethical standards and academics, demonstrated experience working effectively in a diverse environment, excellent organizational and administrative skills, superior knowledge of the techniques and strategies of the sport, success in recruiting student-athletes to a basketball program committed to athletic excellence, and superior communication and public relations skills. Preferred qualifications include: NCAA Division I head coaching experience and a minimum of five years successful intercollegiate coaching (assistant coaches from highly successful programs are encouraged to apply).
Salary: Commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Terms of Employment: Full-time, 12-month appointment. Starting date is negotiable.
Application Process: To apply for this position, contact Gary Barta by phone at 319-335-9435, by fax at 319-335-8200 or by e-mail at email@example.com. Screening will start immediately and continue until position is filled.