April 14, 2007
IOWA CITY, IA –
The University of Iowa men’s track team sent competitors to two meets Saturday. Part of the squad competed at the John Jacobs Invitational in Norman, OK, while other Hawkeyes competed at the Jim Duncan Invitational in Des Moines. A third group of Hawkeyes will compete at the Lee Calhoun Memorial Invitational Sunday in Macomb, IL.
At the Jacobs Invitational, senior Adam Hamilton qualified for the NCAA Midwest Regional in the hammer throw for the third time this season, placing third in that event with a throw of 207-7. That distance was almost seven feet more than his previous season best. Sophomore John Hickey also qualified for the regional in the shot put for the second time this season with a throw of 59-0.
The Hawkeyes will host the ninth-annual Iowa Musco Twilight Meet Saturday, April 21 at Cretzmeyer Track in Iowa City. Teams scheduled to compete at the co-ed meet are Drake, Illinois-Chicago, Marquette, Minnesota, Northern Iowa, Western Illinois and Wisconsin. Starting times are 1 p.m. for “B” section field events, 3 p.m. for field event finals and “B” section and preliminary running events, and 6 p.m. for running event finals. Admission is $3 for adults. Youth and University of Iowa students will be admitted free of charge.
JOHN JACOBS INVITATIONAL RESULTS (Winner Plus Iowa Placers)
800 Meters – Distance Carnival
1. Shaun Smith, Oral Roberts 1:50.89
13. Adam Hairston, Iowa 1:56.96
18. Daniel Peoples, Iowa 1:58.65
26. Zach Splan, Iowa 1:59.73
1,500 Meters – Distance Carnival
1. Dorian Ulrey, Northern Iowa 3:54.70
10. Jesse Luciano, Iowa 3:57.86
5,000 Meters – Distance Carnival
1. Colby Wissel, Kansas 14:12.11
13. Andy Napier, Iowa 14:55.29
1. Brad Miller, Syracuse 4:05.65
5. Adam Hairston, Iowa 4:09.84
1. Andretti Bain, Oral Roberts 51.23
5. Ray Varner, Iowa 52.67
1. Northern Iowa “A” 3:08.33
7. Iowa “A” 3:14.71
(Pierre, Elbert, Varner, Riley)
10. Iowa “B” 3:20.39
(Rolling, Milder, Splan, Peoples)
1. Dusty Jonas, Nebraska 6-10 3/4
6. Dan Rolling, Iowa 6-4 3/4
1. Sheldon Battle, Unattached 191-1
5. A.J. Curtis, Iowa 168-2
Click HERE for complete John Jacobs Invitational results.
1. Julian Morris, Iowa State 6-6 3/4
2. Ryan Kelly, Iowa 6-6 3/4
Click HERE for complete Jim Duncan Invitational results.
Click HERE for more information about the Big Ten Network.