April 13, 2008
- Big Ten Network: Programming Schedule
- 24 Hawkeyes to Watch
- Big Ten Network: Free Hawkeye Video
TEMPE, AZ — Hawkeye juniors Andy Napier, A.J. Curtis, John Hickey and Renee White led the University of Iowa men and women’s track and field teams Friday and Saturday in Arizona by posting NCAA regional qualifying performances. The Hawkeye men sent competitors to the Mesa Classic at Mesa Community College Friday, while members of both squads competed at the Sun Angel Classic in Tempe Friday and Saturday.
White broke her own school triple jump record Saturday with her winning mark of 42-4. She set the previous Hawkeye best of 42-2 1/2 last season. A native of Portmore, Jamaica, White posted a jump of 42-2 to win the preliminary round and then added an extra two inches to her total in the first jump of the final round to secure the victory. The new school record also betters her previous regional qualifying mark.
Curtis posted regional qualifying performances in the discus at Mesa and the shot put at Tempe. The Brodhead, WI, native placed seventh in the discus (172-7) and second in the shot put (57-5 1/2).
Hickey, who was making his outdoor season debut, placed fourth in the invitational shot put with a throw of 60-7 3/4 Saturday. The Piermont, NY, native threw a 61-9 1/2 in the prelims to qualify for the regional meet.
Napier placed second in the 3,000-meter steeplechase Saturday with a collegiate-best 9:01.20, which knocked over two full seconds off his previous best and regional qualifying mark. Napier is from Antioch, IL.
Four other Hawkeyes posted collegiate-best performances on the weekend. Senior Ryan Niver ran a 15.75 in the 110-meter hurdles at Mesa, while senior Tammilee Kerr posted a 19-2 3/4 in the long jump at Tempe. Freshmen Bethany Praska (57.25) and Steven Willey (47.73) also ran collegiate bests in the 400 meters at Tempe.
Iowa’s next competition will be April 19 at the Hawkeye Invitational at Francis X. Cretzmeyer Track in Iowa City. Teams scheduled to participate in the co-ed event include Drake, Iowa State, South Dakota State, Illinois-Chicago, Northern Iowa, Wisconsin, Marquette and Western Illinois. Field events are scheduled to start at 11 a.m., and running events are set to begin at 1:15 p.m. Admission is free.
IOWA WOMEN’S SUN ANGEL CLASSIC RESULTS (Event Winner Plus Iowa Placers)
1. Tiffany Ofili (Michigan) 13.01
22. Kimberley Stanford (Iowa) 14.15
27. Tammilee Kerr (Iowa) 14.36
1. Kerron Stewart (Nike) 22.35
24. Rhonda-Kaye Trusty (Iowa) 24.64
1. Raevan Harris (Auburn) 6-0
12. Caleigh Bacchus (Iowa) 5-5
1. Auburn 44.43
11. Iowa 46.69
(White, Trusty, Kerr, Stanford)
1. Illinois 3:46.92
4. Iowa 3:52.97
(Hendricks, Mims, Kerr, Praska)
1. Renee White (Iowa) 42-4
1. Sarah Stevens (Arizona St.) 218-3
15. Erin O’Hern (Iowa) 163-9
IOWA MEN’S SUN ANGEL CLASSIC RESULTS (Winner Plus Iowa Placers)
1. Ryan Bailey (Club NW) 10.34
22. Lee Elbert (Iowa) 10.99
1. Bobby McCoy (Arizona) 20.82
22. Lee Elbert (Iowa) 22.13
1. Reuben McCoy (Auburn) 50.44
11. Ray Varner (Iowa) 53.34
1. Arizona State 3:05.85
4. Iowa 3:11.21
(Willey, Elbert, Barton, Varner)
1. Richard Jones (C. Arizona) 1:49.22
8. Adam Hairston (Iowa) 1:52.42
1. David Mehlhorn (Arizona St.) 8:58.30
2. Andy Napier (Iowa) 9:01.20
1. Jeff Skiba (Unattached) 6-11
4. Dan Rolling (Iowa) 6-4 3/4
1. Aaron Studt (Minnesota) 57-7
2. A.J. Curtis (Iowa) 57-5 1/2
Shot Put Invitational
1. Vince Mosca (USAA.COM) 64-7 3/4
4. John Hickey (Iowa) 60-7 3/4
1. Brian Trainor (Unattached) 197-0
15. A.J. Curtis (Iowa) 158-3
Click HERE for the Big Ten Network home page.