Feb. 6, 2009
NEW YORK, NY – The University of Iowa track and field teams were split in Friday’s action with the shot putters in New York for the New Balance Invitational and others in South Bend, IN, for the Meyo Invite hosted by the University of Notre Dame.
Senior John Hickey (2nd, 18.48m) provincially qualified for the third time this season with a season best performance that ranks sixth in school history. Senior A.J. Curtis (8th, 17.25m) narrowly missed the provincial qualifying mark but earned a new season best that ranks tenth in school history. Fellow senior Mark Schaapveld (17th, 16.25m) came away with a new season best as well.
The Hawkeyes at the Meyo Invite came away with four new collegiate bests: Junior Hannah Roeder (18th, 17:55.09) in the 5,000-meters, junior Sophia Poncé (26th, 1:19.08) in the 500-meters, and juniors Jesse Luciano (6th, 14:20.99) and Brendan Camplin (14:46.58) in the 5,000-meters. Luciano’s time ranks seventh in Iowa’s all-time performances in the men’s 5,000-meters.
The rest of the Hawkeye squad will continue competition at the Meyo Invite Saturday. Events are scheduled to start at 9 a.m. (CT).
IOWA’S FRIDAY MEYO INVITE RESULTS (Winner Plus Iowa Placers)
Women’s Weight Throw
1. Meagan Halliwill (Unattached) 19.38m
24. Mandy Chandler (Iowa) 13.12m
Women’s 5,000 Meters
1. Emily Borasare (Louisville) 16:51.70
18. Hannah Roeder (Iowa) 17:55.09
Women’s Distance Medley Relay
1. Michigan 11:10.23
8. Iowa 12:11.56
Women’s 500 Meters
1. Shade St. Louis (Eastern Mich) 1:14.60
26. Sophia Poncé (Iowa) 1:19.08
IOWA’S FRIDAY NEW BALANCE INVITATIONAL RESULTS (Winner Plus Iowa Placers)
Men’s Shot Put
1. Nick Panezich (Tennessee) 61-01.5 (18.63m)
2. John Hickey (Iowa) 60-07.75 (18.48m)
8. A.J. Curtis (Iowa) 56-07.25 (17.25m)
14. Ryan Lamparek (Iowa) 54-06.5 (16.62m)
17. Mark Schaapveld (Iowa) 53-03.75 (16.25m)