March 13, 2009
COLLEGE STATION, TX — Hawkeye seniors Racheal Marchand and John Hickey added one more national honor to their respective résumés Friday as both earned all-America honors at the 2009 NCAA Indoor Track and Field Championships at College Station, TX. Iowa sophomore Karessa Farley also had an outstanding day, advancing to Saturday’s finals in the women’s 60-meter hurdles.
Marchand placed third in the women’s 5,000 meters with a time of 15:59.44 to become Iowa’s first all-American in that event since Tracy Dahl in 1993. Marchand, who picked up her fourth all-America honor with the performance, finished half a second out of second place and edged the fourth-place finisher by .11 seconds. She is Iowa’s third two-time all-American in cross country and seventh two-time all-American in track.
“It was a great day for us,” explained Head Women’s Coach Layne Anderson. “Racheal earned her fourth all-America honor and had a legitimate shot at second place at the end of the race. Karessa made the hurdles finals, so she will run for all-America honors Saturday.”
Hickey placed ninth in the men’s shot put with a throw of 60-3 3/4. He is Iowa’s first two-time all-American in that event since Jeremy Allen (2000, 2001).
“We are so happy for John,” said Head Men’s Coach Larry Wieczorek. “This second all-America honor adds to the many accolades and accomplishments he has achieved in his Hawkeye career.”
Farley, who placed eighth in the 60-meter hurdles prelims with a time of 8.33, will run in the finals in that event Saturday at 5:20 p.m. (CT). All events are being held at Texas A&M University’s Gilliam Indoor Track Stadium at the McFerrin Athletic Center.
IOWA’S FRIDAY NCAA INDOOR RESULTS
Women’s 60-Meter Hurdles – Prelims
1. Tiffany Ofili (Michigan) 8.04
2. Kristi Castlin (Virginia Tech) 8.15
3. Jackie Coward (C. Florida) 8.27
4. Vanneisha Ivy (N. Carolina) 8.16
5. Aleesha Barber (Penn St.) 8.17
6. Celriece Law (Tennessee) 8.27
7. Tiki James (C. Florida) 8.27
8. Karessa Farley (Iowa) 8.33
Women’s 5,000 Meters – Top Five Finishers
1. Sally Kipyego (Texas Tech) 15:51.14
2. Frances Koons (Villanova) 15:58.92
3. Racheal Marchand (Iowa) 15:59.44
4. Bridget Frank (Penn St.) 15:59.55
5. Danette Doetzel (Providence) 16:00.45
Men’s Shot Put – Top Nine Finishers
1. Ryan Whiting (Arizona St.) 66-1 3/4
2. Aaron Studt (Minnesota) 63-6 1/4
3. Zack Lloyd (Arizona) 63-0 1/4
4. Jason Lewis (Arizona St.) 62-10 3/4
5. Kernal Mesic (Florida) 62-8
6. Chase Madison (Kentucky) 62-1
7. Nate Hunter (Northeastern) 61-4 3/4
8. Eric Wersky (Auburn) 61-1 1/2
9. John Hickey (Iowa) 60-3 3/4