March 9, 2012
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye iPhone app!
- Iowa and the Big Ten Network
- Big Ten Network: Free Hawkeye Video
- 24 Hawkeyes to Watch
NAMPA, Idaho — University of Iowa senior Erik Sowinski qualified for the 800-meter run final Friday on the first day of the NCAA Indoor Track & Field Championships in Nampa, Idaho.
Sowinksi, from Waukesha, Wis., finished first in his heat and fourth overall with a time of 1:48.62.
“I was prepared from the get-go,” said Sowinski. “Coach (Joey) Woody told me to go out with the top one or two guys and we knew if I did that I would have a good chance to be top three. I came in from the get-go and that’s what I’ve been doing all year.”
The 800 meter final is set to begin Saturday at 8:35 p.m. (CT).
“Finals are always a little more tactical, but I’m going to stick to the game plan and hammer from the gun and see what happens,” Sowinski said.
Iowa senior Troy Doris will also compete tomorrow. Doris is scheduled to compete in the triple jump at 6:30 p.m. (CT).
800 Meters Top Eight Finishers:
1. Mason McHenry — Arizona State — 1:47.87
2. Patrick Schoenball — Baylor — 1:48.59
3. Aaron Evans — Georgia — 1:48.61
4. Erik Sowinski — Iowa — 1:48.62
5. Sean Obinwa — Florida — 1:48.82
6. Michael Preble — Texas A&M — 1:48.86
7. Ricky West — Missouri — 1:49.01
8. David Pachuta — Minnesota — 1:49.02