Feb. 14, 2014
- Read the February issue of Hawk Talk Monthly
- Download your Hawk Talk Monthly iOS app
- Download your Hawk Talk Monthly android app
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye iPad and iPhone app!
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye Android app!
- Big Ten Network: Free Hawkeye Video
- 24 Hawkeyes to Watch
AMES, Iowa – Six University of Iowa track and field athletes competed in day one of the Iowa State Classic on Friday. The event was held at the Lied Recreation Center on the campus of Iowa State University.
Kevin Lewis clocked a personal-best time to finish 20th in the men’s 5,000 meters. The junior’s time of 14:13.57 ranks fifth all-time at Iowa.
Junior Brennan Davey ran to a second-place finish in the men’s 600 yards. Davey clocked a time of 1:11.22.
The Hawkeyes finished fifth through seventh in the women’s weight throw. Senior Jasmine Simpson finished fifth in the event with a season-best toss of 61-11 (18.87m). Senior Ashlyn Gulvas (60-5; 18.41m) and junior Annemie Smith (59-7 ¾; 18.18m) finished sixth and seventh, respectively. The duo also recorded season-best throws.
Kerry Dean Jr. earned a 15th-place finish in the men’s long jump. The sophomore recorded a mark of 21-8 ¾ (6.62m).
The Iowa State Classic resumes Saturday at 10 a.m. (CT).