April 6, 2016
- Read the April issue of Hawk Talk Monthly
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye iPad/iPhone app!
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye Android app!
- Download your Hawk Talk Monthly iOS app
- Download your Hawk Talk Monthly android app
- Big Ten Network: Free Hawkeye Video
- Read the September issue of Hawk Talk Monthly
The University of Iowa women’s golf team travels to Lubbock, Texas, for the Texas Tech Red Raider Invitational from April 8-9.
• Friday, April 8 — First and Second Rounds — 9 a.m. (CT) shotgun start
• Saturday, April 9 — Final Round — Tee times starting at 9 a.m. (CT)
Live scoring will be available throughout the tournament on Golfstat.com. Links can be found on the Iowa women’s golf schedule page at hawkeyesports.com.
The field includes 14 teams: Iowa, Texas Tech (host), BYU, Cal Poly, Colorado State, Kansas, Kansas State, New Mexico, New Mexico State, North Texas, Purdue, SMU, Texas State, and Tulsa.
At the top of the lineup in the number one spot for the Texas Tech Red Raider Invitational will be senior Amy Ihm, followed by sophomore Elisa Suarez, and freshman Monika Poomcharoen. Junior Jessie Sindlinger and sophomore Jessica Ip round out the Hawkeye lineup.
• The Rawls Golf Course — Par 71 — 6,541 yards
• The course is known for its undulating fairways, beautiful bent grass greens, and many deep bunkers.
• The Rawls Course at Texas Tech was designed by golf course architect Tom Doak.
• Senior Amy Ihm earned Big Ten Golfer of the Week honors — the second time this season — for her performance at the Entrada Classic on March 14-15.
• Junior Jessie Sindlinger fired a career best 54-hole score of 216 (E) at the Westbrook Spring Invitational on Feb. 22.
• Senior Amy Ihm earned Big Ten Golfer of the Week honors for her performance at the Johnie Imes Invitational on Sept. 28-29.
• Iowa’s even par 864 team score at the Johnie Imes Invite on Sept. 29 broke the 54-hole program record of 879 — previously set at the Westbrook Spring Invitational in 2012 — by 15 strokes.
• Ihm’s 138 (-6; 68, 70) two-round score at the Johnie Imes Invite on Sept. 29 — a career best– also tied the program record for individual performance for 36 holes previously set by Kristi Cardwell in 2012.
LAST TIME OUT
The Hawkeyes took second in a 14-team field at the Entrada Classic on March 15. The Hawkeyes posted a 286 on the final 18 holes at Snow Canyon Golf Course to finish with a 54-hole team score of 911 (+47; 299, 306, 306).
Ihm led the way for the Hawkeyes throughout the two-day tournament, tying for fourth place overall. The senior carded a 73 (+1) on the final 18 holes to finish with a total of 221 (+5). She made par on 12 holes and added birdies on holes one, eight, and 18 in the final round.
HAWKEYES IN THE TOP 10
• The Hawkeyes have had a total of nine individual top-10 finishes in seven tournaments this season.
• Ihm (T-8th) and Elisa Suarez (T-8th) finished in the top-10 at the Johnie Imes Invite on Sept. 29.
• Ihm (7th) and Sindlinger (T-8th) collected top-10 finishes at the New Mexico State Aggie Invitational on Oct. 7.
• Ihm tied for fourth at the Entrada Classic March 14-15.
IHM TABS 2ND B1G GOLFER OF THE WEEK HONOR
Senior Amy Ihm was named Big Ten Golfer of the Week on March 16 for her efforts at the Entrada Classic. It is the second honor of her career and her second honor this season.
Ihm led the Hawkeyes at the Entrada Classic, carding a 73 (+1) on the final 18 holes to finish with a total of 221 (+5). The Peosta, Iowa, native shot an impressive 42 holes at or below par over the course of the tournament and led the 14-team field in birdies (10).
• Ip finished 10 shots in front of runners-up Andrea Slane and Michelle Xie.
• The individual title is Iowa’s first since Feb. 14, 2008 when Tyrette Metzendorf won the Baja Invitational after carding a three-round total of 224 (74, 71, 79).
• Ip’s three-round total also broke Iowa’s program record of 213 for individual 54-hole performance previously set by Kristi Cardwell in 2012.
IHM NAMED B1G GOLFER OF THE WEEK
Senior Amy Ihm earned Big Ten Golfer of the Week honors for her performance at the Johnie Imes Invitational on Sept. 28-29. It was the first honor of her career.
The Peosta, Iowa, native was the first Hawkeye to earn the weekly conference honor since Lauren English on April 3, 2013. Ihm fired a career-best, 54-hole score of 213 (-3) to tie for eighth at the Johnie Imes Invitational.
A TITLE TO START
The Hawkeyes claimed the team title at the Diane Thomason Invitational, carding a 54-hole total of 888 (298-300-290). The team title is the first for the program since April 11, 2012 when the Hawkeyes posted an 884 to win the Wyoming Cowgirl Classic. Four Hawkeyes — Ip, Sindlinger, Ihm and Kim– notched top-10 finishes.
3 NAMED TO B1G WATCH LIST
Three members of the University of Iowa women’s golf team — senior Amy Ihm, junior Jessie Sindlinger and sophomore Jessica Ip— were named to the 2015-16 Big Ten Women’s Golfers to Watch List.
• Ihm competed in all six spring competitions, tallying a 76.7 scoring average — the third best average on the team.
• Sindlinger competed in all six competitions in the spring, registered a 76.5 scoring average — the second best scoring average on the team.
• Ip impressed in her first season for the Hawkeyes, competing in all six spring competitions and posting a 77.7 scoring average.
ON THE HORIZON
The Hawkeyes continue their spring slate on April 16-17 when they travel to Columbus, Ohio, for the Lady Buckeye Invitational.