April 13, 2016
- Read the April issue of Hawk Talk Monthly
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye iPad/iPhone app!
- Download your Iowa Hawkeye Android app!
- Download your Hawk Talk Monthly iOS app
- Download your Hawk Talk Monthly android app
- Big Ten Network: Free Hawkeye Video
- Read the September issue of Hawk Talk Monthly
The University of Iowa women’s golf team wraps up regular season competition on April 16-17 when they travel to Columbus, Ohio, for the Lady Buckeye Invitational.
• Saturday, April 16 — First and Second Rounds — 8:30 a.m. (CT) shotgun start
• Sunday, April 17 — Final Round — Tee times starting at 8:30 a.m. (CT)
• Play 6, count 4
Live scoring will be available throughout the tournament on Golfstat.com. Links can be found on the Iowa women’s golf schedule page at hawkeyesports.com.
The field includes 12 teams: Iowa, Augusta, Illinois, Indiana, Indianapolis, Kent State, Maryland, Michigan State, Ohio State (host), Rutgers, Seton Hall, and Toledo.
At the top of the lineup in the number one spot for the Lady Buckeye Invitational will be senior Amy Ihm, followed by sophomore Elisa Suarez, and freshman Monika Poomcharoen. Junior Jessie Sindlinger, and sophomores Jessica Ip and Anna Kim round out the Hawkeye lineup.
• Scarlet Course — Par 72 — 6,319 yards
• The construction of the Scarlet course was overseen by famed architect Perry Maxwell.
• In 2005-06, the Scarlet Course underwent a major restoration project overseen by former Buckeye legend Jack Nicklaus.
• Junior Jessie Sindlinger fired a career best 54-hole score of 216 (E) at the Red Raider Invitational on April 9.
• Senior Amy Ihm earned her second Big Ten Golfer of the Week honor of the season for her performance at the Entrada Classic on March 14-15. Ihm also won the award for her performance at the Johnie Imes Invitational on Sept. 28-29.
• Iowa’s even par 864 team score at the Johnie Imes Invite on Sept. 29 broke the 54-hole program record of 879 — previously set at the Westbrook Spring Invitational in 2012 — by 15 strokes.
• Ihm’s 138 (-6; 68, 70) two-round score at the Johnie Imes Invite on Sept. 29 — a career best– also tied the program record for individual performance for 36 holes previously set by Kristi Cardwell in 2012.
LAST TIME OUT
The Hawkeyes concluded play at the Red Raider Invitational on April 9, tying for fifth place with 25th-ranked Brigham Young. The Hawkeyes carded an 890 (+26; 306, 286, 298) at the two-day tournament, played at the Rawls Course.
The Hawkeyes were led by junior Jessie Sindlinger who recorded 11 holes at par, two birdies, and an eagle on 18, on her way to a fourth-place finish at 216 (E; 73, 71, 72) — the best finish of her career.
HISTORICALLY AT THE LADY BUCKEYE INVITATIONAL
• Last year, Iowa finished ninth in the 12-team field. The Hawkeyes carded a three-round 926 (+62), including rounds of 306, 302 and 318.
• Jessica Ip recorded the best finish for the Hawkeyes tallying a three-round 226 (+10), with rounds of 73, 73 and 80. Her efforts earned her a 12th place finish.
• In 2014, the Hawkeyes tied for eighth in the 12-team field after posting a three-round total of 938 (+74).
• The Hawkeyes recorded their best finish at the Lady Buckeye Invitational in 2005 after posting a 903 (+39; 305, 298, 300) to take fifth place overall.
HAWKEYES IN THE TOP 10
• The Hawkeyes have had a total of 11 individual top-10 finishes in eight tournaments this season.
• Ihm (T-8th) and Elisa Suarez (T-8th) finished in the top-10 at the Johnie Imes Invite on Sept. 29.
• Ihm (7th) and Sindlinger (T-8th) collected top-10 finishes at the New Mexico State Aggie Invitational on Oct. 7. • Ihm tied for fourth at the Entrada Classic March 14-15.
• Sindlinger (T-4th) and Ihm (T-10th) collected top-10 finishes at the Red Raider Invitational Invitational on April 9.
IHM TABS 2ND B1G GOLFER OF THE WEEK HONOR
Senior Amy Ihm was named Big Ten Golfer of the Week on March 16 for her efforts at the Entrada Classic. It is the second honor of her career and her second honor this season.
Ihm led the Hawkeyes at the Entrada Classic, carding a 73 (+1) on the final 18 holes to finish with a total of 221 (+5). The Peosta, Iowa, native shot an impressive 42 holes at or below par over the course of the tournament and led the 14-team field in birdies (10).
Ihm earned her first career Big Ten Golfer of the Week honor for her performance at the Johnie Imes Invitational on Sept. 28-29.
The Peosta, Iowa, native was the first Hawkeye to earn the weekly conference honor since Lauren English on April 3, 2013. Ihm fired a career-best, 54-hole score of 213 (-3) to tie for eighth at the Johnie Imes Invitational.
• Ip finished 10 shots in front of runners-up Andrea Slane and Michelle Xie.
• The individual title is Iowa’s first since Feb. 14, 2008 when Tyrette Metzendorf won the Baja Invitational after carding a three-round total of 224 (74, 71, 79).
• Ip’s three-round total also broke Iowa’s program record of 213 for individual 54-hole performance previously set by Kristi Cardwell in 2012.
A TITLE TO START
The Hawkeyes claimed the team title at the Diane Thomason Invitational, carding a 54-hole total of 888 (298-300-290). The team title is the first for the program since April 11, 2012 when the Hawkeyes posted an 884 to win the Wyoming Cowgirl Classic. Four Hawkeyes — Ip, Sindlinger, Ihm and Kim– notched top-10 finishes.
3 NAMED TO B1G WATCH LIST
Three members of the University of Iowa women’s golf team — senior Amy Ihm, junior Jessie Sindlinger and sophomore Jessica Ip— were named to the 2015-16 Big Ten Women’s Golfers to Watch List.
• Ihm competed in all six spring competitions, tallying a 76.7 scoring average — the third best average on the team.
• Sindlinger competed in all six competitions in the spring, registered a 76.5 scoring average — the second best scoring average on the team.
• Ip impressed in her first season for the Hawkeyes, competing in all six spring competitions and posting a 77.7 scoring average.
ON THE HORIZON
The Hawkeyes travel to Indianapolis for the Big Ten Championships on April 22-24.