After more than three months off, the University of Iowa women’s golf team returns to the course this weekend for a pair of duel matches. Playing at Trilogy at Power Ranch in Gilbert, Ariz., Iowa will begin the day by facing Idaho at 9:30 a.m. (CT). Concurrently, CSU will face BYU. The two winning teams and two losing teams competing against each other, respectively, in the afternoon.
The scoring system will be match play, with each player earning a point for her team by besting the opponent she is matched up against. Prior to Saturday, teams will match up their lineups using a snake draft.
• The Trilogy Golf Course — Par 71 — 5,721 yards.
• The course features a desert/links layout, with more spacious fairways and larger greens and offers a view of the the San Ran Range and Superstition
• The Trilogy Golf Course at Power Ranch was designed by golf course architect Dick Bailey.
• Junior Jessica Ip recorded the sixth-best individual performance for 54-holes with a total of 215 at the Red Raider Invitational on Sep. 13.
• Sophie Liu registered the seventh-best individual season scoring average in Iowa
history with a stroke average of 74.8 this fall, while Ip took the 10th-best place with an
average of 75.5.
• As a team, the Hawkeyes recorded the ninth-best season scoring average in Iowa
history with a stroke average of 77.0.
• The team registered top-15 team performances for 36-holes and 54-holes in Hawkeye history at the Landfall Tradition on Oct. 30. They recorded the eighth-best 36-hole score with a 590 and the seventh-lowest 54-hole score with a total of 887.
• Junior Morgan Kukla posted three career bests during the fall season. She recorded her lowest 36-hole score of 150 at the Red Raider Invitational on Sep. 13. The junior registered her lowest 18-hole (72) and 54-hole (224) scores at the Landfall Tradition on Oct. 30.
HAWKEYES IN THE TOP 20
• The Hawkeyes have had a total of two individual top-20 finishes in four tournaments this season.
• Junior Jessica Ip took second overall at the Red Raider Invitational on Sep. 13 with a one-below-par 215 on 54 holes.
• Freshman Sophie Liu finished 12th at the Greenville Regional Preview on Oct. 18 with a three-round total of 228 (+12).
LAST TIME OUT
The Hawkeyes closed their fall slate in Wilmington, North Carolina, at the Landfall Tradition on Oct. 30. They placed 10th, carding a 887 (+23; 297, 293, 297).
• Freshman Sophie Liu led the Hawkeyes with a three-round total of 221 (+5; 74, 71, 76) to tie for 25th.
• Junior Morgan Kukla finished second for the Hawkeyes with a career 54-hole low of 224 (+8; 73, 79, 72) to tie for 33rd.
• Junior Jessica Ip folowed, tying for 37th with a score of 225 (+9; 76, 75, 74).
• Rounding out the Hawkeyes were senior Jessie Sindlinger and sophomore Shawn Rennegarbe with a three-round total of 227 (+11) each. The pair tied for 52nd.
THREE NAMED TO B1G TEN PRESEASON HONOREES
Three members of the University of Iowa women’s golf team — senior Jessie Sindlinger, junior Jessica Ip, and freshman Sophie Liu — were named 2016-17 Big Ten Women’s Golf Preseason Honorees.
• Jessie Sindlinger competed in all six competitions in the spring, averaging a 73.7 strokes per-round — the best on the team.
• Jessica Ip competed in all six competitions, scoring a 74.4 stroke average — the second best on the team. Ip earned the first medalist honor of her career, winning the Diane Thomason invite with a four-under-par 212 on Sept. 13.
• Sophie Liu is beginning her collegiate career this fall. The Vancouver, British Columbia, native was one of just six freshmen named to the watch list.
This season, the Hawkeyes welcome three newcomers — Shawn Rennegarbe, Sarah Overton, and Sophie Liu — to the 2016-17 squad. Rennegarbe is a sophomore transfer from Arkansas with three years of eligibility remaining. Liu and Overton are incoming freshman this year.
ON THE HORIZON
The Iowa women’s golf team travels to Port St. Lucie, Florida, for the Central District Challenge on Feb. 20-21.