The University of Iowa women’s golf team travels to Port St. Lucie, Florida, to compete at the Central District Invitational from Feb. 20-21.
• Monday, Feb. 20 — First & Second Round — 8:30 a.m. (CT) shotgun start
• Tuesday, Feb. 21 — Final Round — 8:30 a.m. (CT) shotgun start
Live scoring will be available throughout the tournament on Golfstat.com. Links can be found on the Iowa women’s golf schedule page at hawkeyesports.com.
The field includes 14 teams: Iowa, Michigan State, North Carolina, Louisville, Augusta, Furman, Ole Miss, Maryland, Charleston, Memphis, Nebraska, Toledo, Rutgers, and North Carolina – Wilmington.
At the top of the lineup in the number one spot will be freshman Sophie Liu, followed by junior Jessica Ip and junior Morgan Kukla. Sophomore Shawn Rennegarbe and senior Jessie Sindlinger round out the Hawkeye lineup. Junior Elisa Suarez will be competing as an individual.
• The St. Lucie Trail Golf Course — Par 72 — 5,946 yards.
• The course is situated on an indigenous Florida footprint that offers expansive views at every hole. The difficulty of the course is designed to go from challenging to forgiving from the front nine to the back nine.
• The St. Lucie Trail Golf Course was designed by golf course architect Jim Fazio.
• Junior Jessica Ip recorded the sixth-best individual performance for 54-holes with a total of 215 at the Red Raider Invitational on Sep. 13.
• Sophie Liu registered the seventh-best individual season scoring average in Iowa history with a stroke average of 74.8 this fall, while Ip took the 10th-best place with an average of 75.5.
• As a team, the Hawkeyes recorded the ninth-best season scoring average in Iowa history with a stroke average of 77.0 this past fall.
• The team registered top-15 team performances for 36-holes and 54-holes in Hawkeye history at the Landfall Tradition on Oct. 30. They recorded the eighth-best 36-hole score with a 590 and the seventh-lowest 54-hole score with a total of 887.
• Junior Morgan Kukla posted three career bests during the fall season. She recorded her lowest 36-hole score of 150 at the Red Raider Invitational on Sep. 13. The junior registered her lowest 18-hole (72) and 54-hole (224) scores at the Landfall Tradition on Oct. 30.
HAWKEYES IN THE TOP 20
• The Hawkeyes have had a total of two individual top-20 finishes in four tournaments this season.
• Junior Jessica Ip took second overall at the Red Raider Invitational on Sep. 13 with a one-below-par 215 on 54 holes.
• Freshman Sophie Liu finished 12th at the Greenville Regional Preview on Oct. 18 with a three-round total of 228 (+12).
LAST TIME OUT
The Hawkeyes opened their spring slate in match-play at the Trilogy Collegiate Quad Matches in Gilbert, Arizona. Iowa finished third in the competition aginst Idaho, Colorado State, and BYU. The Hawkeyes fell to Idaho in the first round and defeated Colorado State in the second round.
• Sophomore Shawn Rennegarbe won both of her matches. She finished three up with two to play in the first round against Idaho and won 3-and-4 in the final round.
• Junior Elisa Suarez took first in both of her matches. She won seven up with five holes left in the first round and 7-and-5 in the second.
• Freshman Sophie Liu ended the first round in a tie and won one up during the second round.
• Senior Jessie Sindlinger lost the first round, 2-and-1, and ended the final round in a tie.
• Junior Anna Kim came out with a 1-up victory in the first round against Idaho and competed against BYU in the second round to fall 4-and-3.
THREE NAMED TO B1G TEN PRESEASON HONOREES
Three members of the University of Iowa women’s golf team — senior Jessie Sindlinger, junior Jessica Ip, and freshman Sophie Liu — were named 2016-17 Big Ten Women’s Golf Preseason Honorees.
• Jessie Sindlinger competed in all six competitions in the spring, averaging a 73.7 strokes per-round — the best on the team.
• Jessica Ip competed in all six competitions, scoring a 74.4 stroke average — the second best on the team. Ip earned the first medalist honor of her career, winning the Diane Thomason invite with a four-under-par 212 on Sept. 13.
• Sophie Liu is beginning her collegiate career this fall. The Vancouver, British Columbia, native was one of just six freshmen named to the watch list.
This season, the Hawkeyes welcome three newcomers — Shawn Rennegarbe, Sarah Overton, and Sophie Liu — to the 2016-17 squad. Rennegarbe is a sophomore transfer from Arkansas with three years of eligibility remaining. Liu and Overton are incoming freshman this year.
ON THE HORIZON
The Iowa women’s golf team travels to Peoria, Arizona, for the Westbrook Spring Invitational on Feb. 26-27.