The University of Iowa women’s golf team travels to Rancho Santa Fe, California, for the 2017 SDSU March Mayhem from March 20-22. The 72-hole, match play event kicks off Monday at 9:30 a.m. (CT) at The Farms Golf Club.
• Monday, March 20 — 36-holes
• Tuesday, March 21 — 18-holes
• Tuesday, March 22 — 18-holes
Live scoring will be available throughout the tournament on BirdieFire.com. Links can be found on the Iowa women’s golf schedule page at hawkeyesports.com.
The Hawkeyes enter Monday as the No. 13 seed. Seeding was determined by Golfstat rankings as of March 14. The field includes 16 teams: USC, Northwestern, Arizona, San Diego State, California, Brigham Young, Pepperdine, UNLV, Old Dominion, Washington State, Idaho, Fresno State, Iowa, New Mexico, San Francisco, and Yale. Iowa will take on fourth-seeded SDSU in round one.
Seven Hawkeyes made the trip to California: Jessie Sindlinger, Jessica Ip, Elisa Suarez, Morgan Kukla, Shawn Rennegarbe, Kristin Glesne, and Sophie Liu. Lineups will be seeded in a practice round the day before the tournament begins.
• The Farms Golf Club — Par 72 — 6,211 yards.
• The course features a challenging design with holes dotted among the carefully crafted, narrow fairways of a championship course.
• The Farms Golf Club was designed by Pete, Perry, and Alice Dye with the help of multi-time PGA Tour Champion Tommy Jacobs.
HISTORICALLY AT THE MARCH MAYHEM
• This marks the first year the Hawkeyes have competed at March Mayhem.
• USC took the team titles when it was a stroke play tournament in 2013 and 2014, before winning the match play tournament in 2016. Tennessee took the title in 2015.
• In 2014, the Hawkeyes finished 10th in the 16-team field after posting a three-round total of 966 (+102; 315, 336, 315).
• Junior Jessica Ip recorded the sixth-best individual performance for 54-holes with a total of 215 at the Red Raider Invitational on Sep. 13.
• Sophie Liu registered the seventh-best individual season scoring average in Iowa history with a stroke average of 74.8 this fall, while Ip took the 10th-best place with an average of 75.5.
• As a team, the Hawkeyes recorded the ninth-best season scoring average in Iowa history with a stroke average of 77.0 this past fall.
• The team registered top-15 team performances for 36-holes and 54-holes in Hawkeye history at the Landfall Tradition on Oct. 30. They recorded the eighth-best 36-hole score with a 590 and the seventh-lowest 54-hole score with a total of 887.
• Junior Morgan Kukla posted three career bests during the fall season. She recorded her lowest 36-hole score of 150 at the Red Raider Invitational on Sep. 13. The junior registered her lowest 18-hole (72) and 54-hole (224) scores at the Landfall Tradition on Oct. 30.
HAWKEYES IN THE TOP 15
• The Hawkeyes have had a total of five individual top-15 finishes in eight tournaments this season.
• Junior Jessica Ip took second overall at the Red Raider Invitational on Sep. 13 with a one-below-par 215 on 54 holes. Ip also recorded the best finish for Iowa at the BYU Entrada Classic. She carded a three-round total of 219 (+3) to tie for fifth overall.
• Freshman Sophie Liu finished 12th at the Greenville Regional Preview on Oct. 18 with a three-round total of 228 (+12). The freshman also finished 10th at the Westbrook Spring Invitational on Feb. 27 with a 54-hole score of 215 (-1).
• Senior Jessie Sindlinger registered her first top-15 finish of the year at the BYU Entrada Classic. Sindlinger finished 11th with a 54-hole total of 221 (+5).
LAST TIME OUT
Iowa took sixth in a field of 12 teams at the BYU Entrada Classic with a 54-hole team score of 913 (+49), registering rounds of 307, 302, and 304.
• Junior Jessica Ip led the Hawkeyes, tying for fifth overall with a 54-hole total of 219 (+3).
• Senior Jessie Sindlinger also registered a top-15 finish. The senior carded a 54-hole total of 221 (+5) to finish 11th.
THREE NAMED TO B1G TEN PRESEASON HONOREES
Three members of the University of Iowa women’s golf team — senior Jessie Sindlinger, junior Jessica Ip, and freshman Sophie Liu — were named 2016-17 Big Ten Women’s Golf Preseason Honorees.
• Jessie Sindlinger competed in all six competitions in the spring, averaging a 73.7 strokes per-round — the best on the team.
• Jessica Ip competed in all six competitions, scoring a 74.4 stroke average — the
second best on the team. Ip earned the first medalist honor of her career, winning the Diane Thomason invite with a four-under-par 212 on Sept. 13.
• Sophie Liu is beginning her collegiate career this fall. The Vancouver, British Columbia, native was one of just six freshmen named to the watch list.
This season, the Hawkeyes welcome three newcomers — Shawn Rennegarbe, Sarah Overton, and Sophie Liu — to the 2016-17 squad. Rennegarbe is a sophomore transfer from Arkansas with three years of eligibility remaining. Liu and Overton are incoming freshman this year.
ON THE HORIZON:
The Iowa women’s golf team will have a week off before heading to Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, for the first annual Hawkeye El-Tigre Invitational on April 2-4.