LONG BEACH, Calif. — The University of Iowa volleyball team dropped a 3-0 decision to No. 2 Stanford on Saturday afternoon in its second match of the LBSU Invitational.
HOW IT HAPPENED
Set 1 (23-25) | The score was knotted at 10-10 when Stanford used a 6-2 run to take the lead. With the Cardinal holding set point at 24-19, the Hawkeyes went on a 4-0 Iowa run, but the comeback fell short as Stanford secured a 1-0 match lead.
Sets 2 and 3 (16-25, 10-25) | Stanford jumped out to an early lead in both sets, never trailing as it secured a 3-0 match victory. Freshman Claire Sheehan led the Hawkeyes with five kills and a block in set two.
HEAR FROM COACH SHYMANSKY
“I think we have so much young talent and so much new talent in our group that as we figure out ways to click together, we are really going to like what we do. The first set was indicative of that. I liked that we were competitive and I thought we executed well. We just let a couple of little points get away. We talk about that two-point difference. We just have to find a way to get two points against great teams, and Stanford is a great team. We have a lot of work to do for tonight because Long Beach State will play good volleyball. They are crafty with the ball, and that’s what gave us the most problems today.”
- The Hawkeyes trail Stanford 0-1 in the all-time series.
- Sheehan and Jess Janota both had six kills, marking a career-high for Sheehan. Janota also added four blocks.
- The Hawkeyes are 1-1 this season in three-set matches.
- After two matches, Taylor Louis leads Iowa with 18 kills and a .400 attacking percentage.
- Iowa: 1-1
- No. 2 Stanford: 2-0
- Iowa: at Long Beach State (0-1) | LBSU Invitational | Long Beach, Calif. | Saturday, Aug. 26 | 9 p.m. (CT)
- No. 2 Stanford: Wright State (0-1) | LBSU Invitational | Long Beach, Calif. | Saturday, Aug. 26 | 6 p.m. (CT)
FOLLOW THE HAWKEYES
For an inside look at the Iowa Volleyball program and access to exclusive coverage, “like” University of Iowa Volleyball on Facebook and follow @IowaVolleyball on Twitter, Instagram, and Snapchat.