IOWA CITY, Iowa — The University of Iowa volleyball team opened the Hawkeye Classic with a 3-0 sweep over Nebraska-Omaha on Friday afternoon in Carver-Hawkeye Arena.
FIGHT FOR IOWA
After having three kills through the first two sets, Reghan Coyle caught fire in set three with a season-high 10 kills. She also amassed a .412 attack percentage.
HOW IT HAPPENED
Set 1 (25-18) | After a slow start from Iowa, the Hawkeyes found their rhythm, going on an 14-5 run to take a 1-0 match lead. Louis led the Hawkeyes with four kills, while Coyle and Jess Janota chipped in three.
Set 2 (25-14) | Iowa had another dominant set. After trailing 9-7, the Hawkeyes used an 18-5 run to close out the set and take a 2-0 match lead.
Set 3 (25-18) | Trailing 9-14, UI head coach Bond Shymansky called a timeout. The break proved effective as the Hawkeyes rattled off six straight to open a 16-4 run en route to a 3-0 match victory.
HEAR FROM COACH SHYMANSKY
“Our group started off a little slow and I think that just has to do with having a lot of new parts. Figuring out not what just your role is but how do you communicate what your roll is. I keep seeing our group growing up. Brie Orr did a really great job settling in and running the offense. I think there are a lot of great positives going into the weekend that we can take away from here. Now we just have to get ready for another tough battle tonight.”
“It’s a great homecoming for us this weekend with four matches at Carver-Hawkeye in just two days. I thought it was a good start, and we brought a lot of great energy. Everyone got out and contributed to our group. I thought it was a good start overall.”
- The Hawkeyes are now 2-0 in matches played on Friday.
- Iowa now holds a 5-2 all-time record against the Mavericks.
- Senior Annika Olsen had 16 digs. She now has double-digit digs in three-of-four matches this season.
- With 36 assists, freshman Brie Orr has had more than 30 assists in three of her four matches as a Hawkeye.
- Four Hawkeyes racked up above a .400 attack percentage — Coyle (.412), Taylor Louis (.438), Janota (.417), and Taylin Alm (.667).
- Iowa: 3-1
- Nebraska-Omaha: 0-4
Iowa continues the Hawkeye Classic tonight, taking on Coastal Carolina at 7 p.m. (CT) in Carver-Hawkeye Arena.