The University of Iowa women’s golf team travels to Knoxville, Tennessee, for the Mercedes Benz Women’s Collegiate Championship on Sept. 18-19.
• Monday, Sept. 18 — First and Second Rounds — 7:30 A.M. (CT)
• Tuesday, Sept. 19 — Final Round — 8:00 A.M. (CT)
Live scoring will be available throughout the tournament on Golfstat.com. Links can be found on the Iowa women’s golf schedule page at hawkeyesports.com.
The field includes 15 teams: Tennessee (30), Kent State (14), Wake Forest (29), NC State (26), SMU (45), BYU (32), Illinois (33), Kentucky, Maryland, Missouri, ETSU, UTSA, Coastal Carolina, Eastern Kentucky, and Iowa.
Senior Jessica Ip will be in the number one spot. She will be followed by junior Shawn Rennegarbe, senior Elisa Suarez, junior Kristin Glesne, and senior Morgan Kukla.
• Cherokee Country Club was founded in 1907. It is the oldest golf course and country club in Knoxville.
• This course was designed by Donald Ross, considered to be one of America’s outstanding golf course architects of his time.
• The course sits along the Tennessee River and offers a breathtaking view of the Great Smoky Mountains.
HISTORICALLY AT THE MERCEDES BENZ INVITATIONAL
• This will be the Hawkeyes first time competing in this tournament.
HAWKEYES START OFF SEASON
The Hawkeyes opened the season last week at the Branch Law Firm Invitational on Sept. 11-12, tying for seventh with a three-round score of 879 (+15).
• Senior Jessica Ip tied for fifth — the best finish on the team — after carding a three-round score of 214 (72, 73, 69, -2).
• Junior Kristin Glesne tied for 44th after carding career bests for 18-holes (70) and 36-holes (143). She finished with a three-round total of 223 (+7).
• Junior Shawn Rennegarbe carded a 54-hole score of 221 (+5) to finish tie for 33rd — the best finish of her career. She had career bests for 18 (72), 36 (149), and 54-holes (221).
TOPPING RANKED OPPONENTS
• Iowa tied for seventh overall at the Branch Law Firm Invitational on Sept. 11-12. The Hawkeyes finished ahead of four top-50 teams, including No. 18 Texas, No. 49 UNLV, No. 16 Arizona, and No. 39 Pepperdine.
• The six teams that finished ahead of Iowa are all ranked inside the top-35 of the Golfstat Relative Rankings.
THREE NAMED BIG TEN PRESEASON HONOREES
Three members of the University of Iowa women’s golf team — seniors Jessica Ip and Morgan Kukla, and sophomore Sophie Liu — were named 2017-18 Big Ten Women’s Golf Preseason Honorees.
• Ip competed in all six competitions in the spring, finishing with a 74.2 stroke average — the best on the team.
• Liu competed in all six competitions, scoring a 77.0 stroke average — the second best on the team.
• Kukla appeared in seven of Iowa’s 10 tournaments last season, carding a career-best 18-hole score of 71 (-1) at the Hawkeye El-Tigre Invitational.
The Hawkeyes set numerous career-bests in their season-opening tournament on Sept. 11-12.
• Glesne carded a career-best, 36-hole score of 143 (-1) — a mark that ties for sixth in program history. She carded a career low 18-hole score of 70 (-2).
• Ip’s three-round total of 214 (-2) marked the fifth-lowest total in program history.
• Rennegarbe carded a career-best, 18-hole score of 72 (E), 36-hole score of 149 (+5) and 54-hole score of 221 (+5). She tied for 39th overall — a new career best.
• The Hawkeyes recorded the third-best team performance for 36-holes after carding a 582 (+6) in the first two rounds of the Branch Law Firm Invitational on Sept. 11.
• The Hawkeyes’ 54-hole total of 879 (+15) ties for fifth in program history.
• Iowa’s 18-hole score of 290 (+2) ties for 12th-best 18-hole score.
This season, the Hawkeyes welcome three newcomers — Annalee Dannegger, Rachel Fujitani, and Stephanie Herzog– to the 2017-18 squad. Dannegger is from Wheaton, Illinois, Fujitani is from Phoenix, Arizona, and Herzog is from Red Wing, Minnesota.
ON THE HORIZON
The Iowa women’s golf team heads to Chapel Hill, North Carolina, to compete in the UNC Tar Heel Invitational on Oct. 13-14.