The University of Iowa men’s and women’s cross country teams travel to South Bend, Indiana, to compete at the Joe Piane Invitational on Friday. The men will compete in the Men’s Blue Race and the women will compete in the Women’s Gold Race. The men’s five mile race begins at 12:45 p.m. (CT), and the women’s 5,000-meter race begins at 2:15 p.m.
HOW TO FOLLOW
Results are posted on the Iowa cross country Twitter account: @Iowa XC_TF and online at hawkeyesports.com.
MYLENEK, SHINE FINISH FIRST
- The University of Iowa men’s cross country team placed first and the women finished third at the Woody Greeno Invite on Saturday morning in Lincoln, Nebraska. The Hawkeye men placed four runners in the top 10 of the 8,000 meters, including a 1-2 finish by sophomore Nathan Mylenek and junior Ian Eklin.
- The Hawkeye women were led by junior Andrea Shine, who won the 6,000-meters with a personal-best time of 21:39. Madison Waymire finished sixth with a time of 22:08
QUOTING HEAD COACH RANDY HASENBANK
“We need our top dogs to get out there and compete on Friday. I feel very confident with the way Andrea and Madison are racing. They are both very aggressive and hungry, and they are absolutely not afraid of anyone. I love that.
“On the men’s side we got six or seven guys, maybe eight if we get Michael back out there. I think this lineup has so much parody, I could see three or four different leaders over the next five or six weeks.”
MEN’S TOP RUNNERS
- Junior Ian Eklin and sophomore Nathan Mylenek are both running at the Joe Piane Invitational. Mylenek will be running at this event for the first time in his career, while Eklin will make his second appearance.
- Daniel Soto will also be running this weekend. Soto finished fourth at the Woody Greeno Invitational with a time of 25:48.0 in the 8,000 meters.
- Eklin and Soto each ran at this event as freshmen in 2015. Eklin finished with a time of 26:07.8, and Soto ran a time of 25:38.5.
WOMEN’S TOP RUNNERS
- Senior Madison Waymire and junior Andrea Shine are both running at the Joe Piane Invitational for the Hawkeyes. Waymire and Shine are making their second appearance at this event. They both ran in this race in 2015.
- Waymire was Iowa’s top finisher and ran her 5,000-meter personal best (17:22.7) to place 47th at the Joe Piane Invitational in 2015.
- Shine was Iowa’s fifth finisher placing 132nd with a time of 18:21.2 in 2015 as a freshman.
- Freshman Noah Healy will run in his third-career race this weekend. The freshman was Iowa’s top newcomer for the second straight race at the Woody Green Invitational. Healy finished 43rd with a time of 27:44.8 in the 8,000 meters.
- Freshman Mary Arch was the Hawkeyes top newcomer for the women at the Woody Greeno Invitational. Arch finished 41st with a time of 23:36.1.
- Sophomore transfer, Maren Jeppson, was the Hawkeyes second newcomer finisher for the women at the Woody Greeno Invitational. Jeppson finished 46th with a time of 23:52.4 in the 6,000 meters.
NEXT UP FOR THE HAWKEYES
The Hawkeyes wrap up their regular season in Peoria, Illinois at the Bradley Invite on Oct. 13
LINK UP WITH THE HAWKEYES
For an inside look at the Iowa cross country program and to access exclusive coverage, “like” The University of Iowa Cross Country and Track & Field Facebook page and follow @Iowa XC T&F on Twitter.