SOUTH BEND, Indiana – The University of Iowa women’s cross country team placed sixth in the women’s 5,000-meter Gold race at the Joe Piane Invitational on Friday afternoon. The Hawkeye men placed 14th in the five-mile Blue Race.
The women were led by junior Andrea Shine, who placed fifth in the 5,000 meters with a personal-best time of 17:16. Madison Waymire finished 12th with a time of 17:36.
Quoting Head coach Randy Hasenbank
“Andrea (Shine) and Madison (Waymire) competed well up front again. They had a very aggressive mentality right from the gun. The competition was stout, but I felt like we held our own. “
“I thought Nate (Mylenek), Dan (Soto) and Brandon Cooley all ran very well. Bailey (Hesse-Withbroe) really impressed me today with his competitive spirit.”
Men’s Blue 5 Mile Race
- Nathan Mylenek was Iowa’s top finisher, placing 44th with a time of 24:32.9, in his first five mile race as a Hawkeye.
- Daniel Soto ran a personal-best 24:55.3 and placed 69th as Iowa’s second finisher in the Men’s Blue 5 mile race.
- Sophomore Brandon Cooley was the third Hawkeye finisher, placing 74th with a time of 24:55.3.
- The men finished 14th with 374 points.
Men’s 5 Mile Open Race
- Junior Daniel Murphy was the Hawkeyes first finisher, placing 12th with a time of 26:07.2.
- Sophomore Michael Westphal placed 15th as Iowa’s second finisher with a time of 26:28.6.
- Freshman Jeff Roberts was the third Hawkeye finisher, placing 19th with a time of 26:59.5
- Two freshmen finished in the top 20 (Roberts and Noah Healy).
Women’s 5K Gold Race
- The Hawkeye women finished 6th overall with a total of 196
- Marta Gonzalez was the third finisher for the Hawkeyes, and placed 38th overall with a time of 18:14.1.
Women’s 5k Open Race
- Elizabeth Niedert was the No. 1 finisher for Iowa. Niederth placed 34th with personal-best time of 19:43.2.
- Wren Renquist was the second Hawkeye finisher and placed 43rd overall with a time of 20:29.6.
- Kara Neustrom finished 46th as the Hawkeyes third finisher with a time of 20:38.6
Next Up For The Hawkeyes
The Hawkeyes wrap up their regular season in Peoria, Illinois at the Bradley Invite on Oct. 13