The University of Iowa men’s and women’s cross country teams conclude the regular season Friday at the Bradley Pink Classic in Peoria, Illinois. The men compete in the Men’s 8K Red Race at 3:15 p.m. (CT) and the women compete in the Women’s 6K Red Race at 4 p.m.
HOW TO FOLLOW
Results are posted on the Iowa cross country Twitter account: @Iowa XC_TF and online at hawkeyesports.com.
HAWKEYES RANKED 6TH IN MIDWEST REGION
- The University of Iowa men’s cross country team is ranked sixth in the Midwest Region, jumping up six spots in the latest United States Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association poll. It marks the men’s highest ranking since 2010 (fifth).
- The Hawkeye men placed 14th at the Joe Piane Invitational on Friday, finishing in front of five regionally ranked opponents, including No. 4 Florida State (South), No. 4 Baylor (South Central), No. 6 Butler (Great Lakes), No. 8 Notre Dame (Great Lakes), and No. 8 Wichita State (Midwest). Nathan Mylenek and Daniel Soto led the way for Iowa, placing 44th and 69th respectively.
WHEN OPPORTUNITY KNOCKS
- The Hawkeye men are racing against 18 Midwest Region opponents, six of which are regionally ranked, including No. 7 Nebraska, No. 8 Missouri, No. 12 Bradley, No. 13 Wichita State, No. 14 Kansas State, and No. 15 Saint Louis.
- The men face off against two regionally ranked opponents from the Great Lakes Region. They are No. 11 Oakland, and No. 14 Marquette.
- The Women race against 20 Midwest Region opponents, including eight regionally ranked schools, No. 3 Missouri, No. 8 South Dakota, No. 9 Kansas State, No. 10 Northern Illinois, No. 11 Bradley, No. 12 Northern Iowa, No.13 Loyola, and No. 14 Illinois State.
- The Hawkeye men are running in their second 8,000 meter race of the season. They won their only other 8,000 meter race at the Woody Greeno Invite on Sept. 16. The Hawkeyes had four athletes place in the top-10, including Nathan Mylenek (first place), Ian Eklin (second place), Dan Soto (fourth place), and Brandon Cooley (seventh place).
- The Bradley Pink Invite marks the second 6,000 meter race for the Hawkeye Women. They finished third in their previous 6K race at the Woody Greeno Invite. Iowa had three runners in the top-15 including Andrea Shine (first place), Madison Waymire (seventh place), and Julianna Hollensbe (13th place).
MEN’S TOP RUNNERS
- Sophomore Nathan Mylenek and junior Dan Soto will both be running in this year’s Bradley Pink Classic. This marks Mylenek’s second, and Soto’s third time running in this race.
- Mylenek was Iowa’s top finisher at last year’s Bradley Pink Classic when he ran his personal best 25:09.3.
- Mylenek and Soto will both be running in their second 8,000 meter race of the season this weekend. Mylenek placed first with a time of 25:42.8 at the Woody Greeno Invite on Sept. 16, and Soto finished fourth with a time of 25:48.0. Soto’s personal best in the 8k is 24:55.2.
WOMEN’S TOP RUNNERS
- Senior Madison Waymire and junior Andrea Shine will be competing in their second 6,000 meter race this Friday.
- Waymire was Iowa’s top finisher at the Bradley Pink Classic in 2015, placing 32nd with a time of 21:01.8. Shine was Iowa’s third finisher (82nd) with a time of 22:07.0.
- Shine ran her 6K collegiate best earlier this season at the Woody Greeno Invite. The junior won the race with a time of 21:31.9. Waymire placed seventh at the same event with a time of 22:08.4. Waymire’s 6K personal best came at the 2015 Big Ten Championships when she ran a time of 21:01.8.
NEXT UP FOR THE HAWKEYES
The Hawkeyes postseason begins Oct. 29 at the Big Ten Championships in Bloomington, Indiana.
LINK UP WITH THE HAWKEYES
For an inside look at the Iowa cross country program and to access exclusive coverage, “like” The University of Iowa Cross Country and Track & Field Facebook page and follow @Iowa XC T&F on Twitter.