Hawkeye Fan Shop — A Black & Gold Store | 24 Hawkeyes to Watch — 2017-18 Season | NOTES UNC Tar Heel Invitational
The University of Iowa women’s golf team travels to Chapel Hill, North Carolina, for the UNC Tar Heel Invitational on Oct. 13-15.
• Friday, Oct. 13 — First Round– 7:51 A.M. (CT)
• Saturday, Oct. 14 — Second Round — 7:51 A.M. (CT)
• Sunday, Oct. 15 — Final Round — 8:15 A.M. (CT)
Live scoring will be available throughout the tournament on Golfstat.com. Links can be found on the Iowa women’s golf schedule page at hawkeyesports.com.
The field includes 18 teams: Wake Forest (28), Duke (6), South Carolina (14), North Carolina (34), NC State (31), Michigan State (9), Virginia (24), Michigan, Alabama (2), Arkansas (1), Ohio State (45), Vanderbilt (16), Louisville (46), Rollins, Virginia Tech, UNC-Wilmington, Tulane, and Iowa. (Golfweek rankings)
The Hawkeyes are led by senior Jessica Ip in the number one spot. She is followed by juniors Shawn Rennegarbe and Kristin Glesne and senior Elisa Suarez. Freshman Stephanie Herzog will make her Hawkeye debut in the number five spot.
• UNC Finley is ranked as one of the top-10 golf courses to play in North Carolina.
• Each hole is challenging, but provides a positive experience for the golfer.
HISTORICALLY AT THE UNC TAR HEEL INVITATIONAL
• This will be Iowa’s first time competing in this tournament.
• Iowa last competed in North Carolina last year at the Greenville Regional Preview (Greenville) where they placed 10th out of 16 teams.
• The Hawkeyes also competed in the Landfall Tradition (Wilmington) in North Carolina last year. They finished 10th of 18 teams.
LAST TIME OUT
• The Hawkeyes competed in the Mercedes-Benz Championship on Sept. 18-19, finishing 12th with a three-round score of 888 (+36).
• Junior Kristin Glesne had the best individual finish, tying for 29th. She carded a 54-hole score of 218 (+5) — a career-best.
• Senior Jessica Ip shot her third round at-or-below par (68, -3) to lead her to a three-round score of 220 (+7) and a 34th place finish.
• Junior Shawn Rennegarbe tied for 43rd with a three-round score of 222 (+9).
COMPETING WITH THE BEST
• In the two tournaments the Hawkeyes have competed in, they have faced 17 top-50 teams.
• Seven of the 17 ranked teams are in the top-25 of the Golfstat Relative Rankings.
• Iowa has finished ahead of four top-50 ranked opponents, including No. 16 Arizona, No. 18 Texas, No. 39 Pepperdine, and No. 49 UNLV.
TEAM QUICK STRIKES
• In two meets this season, Iowa has registered two of the top-10, 54-hole scores in program history. Iowa’s 54-hole score of 879 at the Branch Law Firm Invitational tied for fifth in program history and a three-round total of 888 at the Mercedes-Benz Championship tied for ninth in program history.
• After their first two tournaments, the Hawkeyes have a combined nine rounds at-or-below par.
• The team has a stroke average of 74.4 through the first two tournaments.
INDIVIDUAL QUICK STRIKES
• Following the first two tournaments, Jessica Ip leads the team with a 72.3 stroke average and has the season low round of 68 (-3).
• Ip has the team’s top individual finish of the season. She tied for fifth at the Branch Law Firm Invitational (72, 73, 69, -2, 214).
• Ip and Glesne have carded three rounds at-or-below par in the first two tournaments of the season.
• Shawn Rennegarbe registered 443 strokes through six rounds of play, giving her a stroke average of 73.8 to start the season.
• Elisa Suarez has a season-low round of 71 and a stroke average of 75.1 after the first two torunaments.
THREE NAMED BIG TEN PRESEASON HONOREES
Three members of the University of Iowa women’s golf team — seniors Jessica Ip and Morgan Kukla, and sophomore Sophie Liu — were named 2017-18 Big Ten Women’s Golf Preseason Honorees.
• Ip competed in all six competitions last spring, finishing with a 74.2 stroke average — the best on the team.
• Liu competed in all six competitions last season, scoring a 77.0 stroke average — the second best on the team.
• Kukla appeared in seven of Iowa’s 10 tournaments last season, carding a career-best 18-hole score of 71 (-1) at the Hawkeye El-Tigre Invitational.
This season, the Hawkeyes welcome three newcomers — Annalee Dannegger, Rachel Fujitani, and Stephanie Herzog– to the 2017-18 squad. Dannegger is from Wheaton, Illinois, Fujitani is from Phoenix, Arizona, and Herzog is from Red Wing, Minnesota.
ON THE HORIZON
Iowa travels to Atlanta, Georgia, to compete in the Ladies Fall Collegiate Invitational on Oct. 27-29.