BLOOMINGTON, Ind. — The University of Iowa volleyball team defeated Indiana, 3-1, on Wednesday night at University Gym.
FIGHT FOR IOWA
Claire Sheehan led Iowa with 15 kills, a .344 attack percentage, and a career-high five blocks. This is Sheehan’s eighth match with double digit kills.
HOW IT HAPPENED
Set 1 (26-24) | Trailing 22-20 after a back-and-forth start to the set, the Hawkeyes used a 4-1 run to take a 24-23 lead. The Hoosiers knotted the set at 24-24, but a kill by Sheehan and a Jess Janota ace won the set for Iowa.
Set 2 (25-19) | Iowa took an early advantage and never trailed, leading by as much as 13-4 and eventually clinching the set with back-to-back kills from Reghan Coyle and Kelsey O’Neill. Sheehan led the Hawkeyes with seven kills.
Sets 3 and 4 (17-25, 25-14) | After falling in set three, the Hawkeyes jumped ahead early in set four and never looked back, holding a 20-11 advantage before an O’Neill kill secured the set and the 3-1 match victory for Iowa.
HEAR FROM COACH SHYMANSKY
“Our group got up early in the third and I think we put it on cruise control too quickly. That’s on us. We have to have fortitude and focus when we are on the road, especially in the Big Ten. We got a little soft there mentally, but we really bounced back with a clean, effective, efficient game in the fourth set. I’m proud of the way our group battled on to finish the match.”
“Annika was great for us. She was passing well and defending well. She had 29 digs, which is a huge number. I really think it was that fourth set when she went sprawling into the bench and collided with the chairs, she saved the ball and we won the point. That was the straw that broke the camel’s back for Indiana.”
- Iowa has won six consecutive matches against Indiana.
- Janota registered a career-high four aces. Janota’s four aces are the most in a single match by a Hawkeye this season.
- Three Hawkeyes — Sheehan (15), Taylor Louis (10), and Janota (10) — amassed double digits in kills.
- Annika Olsen tallied a career-high 29 digs, marking her 18th match with double-digit digs.
- Brie Orr recorded 42 assists. This is her 17th match with 30-or-more assists and her ninth match with 40-or-more assists.
The Hawkeyes take on No. 6 Minnesota on Sunday at 4 p.m. (CT) at the Maturi Pavilion. This is the second meeting between Iowa and the Golden Gophers this season.
- Iowa: 14-6, 3-4 B1G
- Indiana: 11-8, 0-7 B1G