The University of Iowa women’s golf team kicks off the season at the Branch Law Firm Invitational in Albuquerque, New Mexico, on Sept. 10-11.
- Monday, Sept. 10– First and Second Round — 8:30 a.m. (CT)
- Tuesday, Sept. 11 — Final Round — 8:30 a.m. (CT)
Live scoring will be available throughout the tournament on BirdieFire.com. Links can be found on the Iowa women’s golf schedule page at hawkeyesports.com.
The field includes 15 teams (Golfstat Relative Rankings): New Mexico, Colorado (22), Iowa State (32), UNLV (39), Northwestern (11), Pepperdine (49), San Diego State (44), UC Berkley (41), UC Davis, Washington State, Central Arkansas, Fresno State, New Mexico State, Kent State (15).
The Hawkeye lineup will include seniors Kristin Glesne and Shawn Rennegarbe, sophomores Rachel Fujitani and Stephanie Herzog, and freshman Manuela Lizarazu. Freshman Dana Lerner will compete as an individual.
- The University of New Mexico Championship Course first opened in 1967 and is nationally recognized by Golf Digest Magazine as one of the top-25 public courses in the country.
- The course is known for its long and wide stretched out fairways, well-manicured greens and desert landscape surrounding it.
HISTORICALLY AT THE BRANCH LAW FIRM INVITE
- Last year, Iowa tied for seventh in a stacked 17-team field.
- The Hawkeyes carded a 927 (+51) at the tournament in 2013, finishing 12th.
- Senior Shawn Rennegarbe carded an even-par 72 in the third round last season. Rennegarbe tied for 33rd overall with a three-round total of 225 (+5).
COMPETING WITH THE BEST
- Iowa will compete against eight teams ranked in the top-50.
- Two of Iowa’s opponents are ranked in the top-20, according to Golfstat.
- Six Big Ten teams are ranked in the top-50, including Northwestern (11), Michigan State (13), Illinois (23), Purdue (30), Ohio State (35) and Wisconsin (36).
THREE NAMED BIG TEN PRESEASON HONOREES
Three members of the University of Iowa women’s golf team — seniors Shawn Rennegarbe and Kristin Glesne, and sophomore Rachel Fujitani — were named 2018-19 Big Ten Women’s Golf Preseason Honorees.
- Rennegarbe competed in all 10 competitions last season including a career-best finish at the Hawkeye El-Tigre Invitational, tying for 20th, with a three-round total of 225 (+9).
- Fujitani competed in all six tournaments last spring. The Phoenix, Arizona, native carded her first under-par round (71; -1) at the Arizona State Invitational (March 23-25).
- Glesne competed in nine tournaments last season. She tied for 46th at the Big Ten Championships (April 20-22) with a three-round total of 227 (+11).
The Haweyes are led by senior captains Shawn Rennegarbe and Kristin Glesne.
- Rennegarbe has competed in 24 rouds with a 79.3 average in her Hawkeye career. She shot a career-low 74 at the 2017 Westbrook Spring Invite.
- Rennegarbe carded a career-best finish at the Hawkeye El-Tigre Invitational (March 16-17), tying for 20th with a three-round total 225 (+9).
- Glesne has played 27 rounds as a Hawkeye with a 75.6 average. She shot a career-low 71 at the 2015 Pinehurst Challenge.
- Glesne finished the Hawkeye El-Tigre Challenge (March 16-17) tying for 42nd, carding a 54-hole score of 230 (+14).
This season, the Hawkeyes welcome three newcomers — Brett Permann, Dana Lerner and Manuela Lizarazu to the 2018-2019 squad. Permann transferred from the University of Central Arkansas; Lerner is from Caesarea, Israel; Lizarazu is from Bogota, Colombia.
GLESNE WINS COLORADO TOURNAMENT
Senior Kristin Glesne won the 2018 Colorado Golf Association Women’s Stroke Play Championship on June 20-22. She carded a 54-hole total of 218 (+2).
SCHEDULE AT A GLANCE
- The 10-meet regular season schedule includes five invites during the fall and five invites during the spring season.
- The Diane Thomason Invite returns to Finkbine Golf Course for the first time since 2015. Iowa will look to defend its 2015 team title on Sept. 29-30.
- The Hawkeyes will travel to Mexico twice. Iowa will compete at the Battle of the Beach Tournament in Cabo San Lucas on Nov. 2-4 before hosting the third-annual Hawkeye El-Tigre Invite in Puerto Vallarta on March 21-23.
ON THE HORIZON
The Iowa women’s golf team heads to Knoxville, Tennessee, to compete in the Mercedes Benz Women’s Collegiate Championship on Sept.17-18.