INDEPENDENCE, Minn. —Three University of Iowa men’s golfers finished in the top 20, including two in the top 10, en route to a third place team finish at the Gopher Invitational contested at the par-71 (7,368 yards) Windsong Farm Golf Club. Iowa finished the 54-hole tournament with a score of 851 (-1) — fifth best in tournament history.
The Hawkeyes carded a team score of 277 (-7) in Monday’s final round, which was the best 18-hole score of any of the 15 teams throughout the tournament. Additionally, Iowa’s 277 score on Monday ties for the fourth best 18-hole team score in tournament history and is second best since the tournament moved to Windsong Farm Golf Club in 2013.
No. 2 Oklahoma finished first with a three-round score of 847 (-5), while 13th-ranked Texas finished in second place with a 54-hole score of 850 (-2), just one stroke ahead of the Hawkeyes. Iowa was eight strokes better than No. 18 Arkansas and beat No. 40 Purdue by 13 strokes.
Senior Matthew Walker soared 11 spots on the leaderboard today, finishing in fifth place with a 54-hole score of 210 (-3), his best finish as a Hawkeye. The Ottumwa, Iowa, native posted five birdies and an eagle to equal a career-best 18-hole score of 66 (-5). Walker’s 66 ties the fourth lowest round in program history. It also ties the fourth lowest round in Gopher Invitational history and ties for the second lowest since the tournament moved to Windsong.
Junior Alex Schaake recorded his third round at or below par this season with a 71 (E) in today’s final round. He finished with a three-round score of 210 (-3), tying sixth place, his fifth top 10 finish over the 12 tournaments dating back to last season.
In his Hawkeye debut, freshman Gonzalo Leal Montero finished even on the front nine on Monday, on his way to an 18-hole score of 72 (+1). Montero tied for 18th with a 54-hole score of 216 (+3).
Junior Benton Weinberg fired four birdies on the front nine and five overall in the third round to surge 23 spots on the leaderboard. He finished the final round with a score of 68 (-3) and 54-hole score of 217 (+4), tying 23rd.
Redshirt junior Alex Moorman registered an 18-hole score of 72 (+1) Monday’s third round to finish tied 44th with a three-round score of 221 (+8).
|T-18||Gonzalo Leal Montero||73||71||72||+3||216|
- After finishing 14th with a 54-hole score of 893 a year ago, the Hawkeyes improved 11 spots and 42 strokes in this year’s tournament (third place, 851).
- Iowa’s 18-hole score of 277 and 54-hole score of 851 ties for sixth and eighth best, respectively, in program history.
- Iowa was the best team in the field in par-four scoring average with a 4.05 (+9).
- The Hawkeyes were second best in par-five scoring average (4.78, -10) and birdies (50).
- Matthew Walker tied for first among the field of 76 competitors in par-five scoring average (4.33, -6).
- Matthew Walker’s eagle on the par-5 18th hole was one of only six eagles by the 76 competitors throughout the 54-hole tournament.
- Alex Schaake finished with 14 birdies, tying for third most in the field.
COACH STITH’S COMMENTS
“Matthew and Alex played solid and set the tone, but it was a team effort. Benton posted a great round today, Alex battled for 72, and Gonzalo was impressive in his first collegiate event.”
The Hawkeyes host the Golfweek Conference Challenge at the Cedar Rapids Country Club on Sept. 16-18. Admission is free to the public.