IOWA CITY, Iowa — The University of Iowa men’s and women’s cross country teams travel to Lincoln, Nebraska, to compete at the Woody Greeno Invite, on Saturday. The Hawkeyes compete at Mahoney Golf Course, site of the 2018 Big Ten Championships, with student-athletes from 26 teams. Four B1G programs compete alongside Iowa, including Michigan, Minnesota, Rutgers and host Nebraska. The women’s 6,000-meter race begins at 9 a.m. (CT). The men’s 8,000 meters begins at 9:45 a.m.
HOW TO FOLLOW
Results are posted on the Iowa cross country Twitter account: @Iowa XC_TF and online at hawkeyesports.com. They will also be posted at huskers.com.
HAWKEYES START STRONG
- The Hawkeyes started the season off with two second-place finishes at the Hawkeye Invitational (Aug. 31), earning eight wins overall. Both teams had wins over Iowa Central, Northern Iowa, Illinois State and Drake.
- Andrea Shine won the Hawkeye Invitational women’s 4,000 meters in 14:07.5. On the men’s side, Dan Soto and Ian Eklin finished the men’s 6,000 meters in 18:44.3, placing ninth and tenth, respectively.
IN THE RANKINGS
- The men’s team holds its Midwest Regional ranking at eighth in the weekly USTFCCCA polls and compete this week against No. 4 Minnesota, No. 9 Nebraska, and No. 11 North Dakota State.
- The women bettered their ranking by two spots, moving to 10th for the first week of the Midwest Regional polls. Among the competition this week are No. 2 Minnesota, No. 4 South Dakota, and No. 15 North Dakota State.
MEN’S TOP RUNNERS
- Junior Nathan Mylenek and senior Daniel Soto return to the Woody Greeno Invitational as the top Hawkeye competitors from 2017. Mylenek won the men’s 8,000 meters in 25:42.8, while Eklin placed second in the 2017 event, finishing in 25:45.2.
- Senior Daniel Soto was Iowa’s top runner at the Hawkeye Invite (Aug. 31), finishing ninth in 18:44.3 to lead the Hawkeyes for the second time in his career. He also recorded the second fastest 8,000 meters among Hawkeyes (24:59.6) at the Bradley “Pink” Classic (Oct. 13,2017).
WOMEN’S TOP RUNNERS
- Senior Andrea Shine returns to the Woody Greeno Invitational for the second time after finishing in the Hawkeyes’ first scoring position and second place (21:31.9) overall at the 2017 event.
- Megan Schott will make her 6,000 meters debut for the Hawkeyes after finishing in the second scoring position at the 2018 Hawkeye Invite. Schott recorded her best 6,000 meters (21:18) at the 2017 NCAA Regionals as a member of the Iowa State Cyclones.
HAWKEYE NEWCOMERS NOTABLES
- Joining Shine and Schott in scoring positions at the 2018 Hawkeye Invite were freshmen Anna Hostetler and Grace McCabe, and sophomore Jordan Winke, who competed in her first collegiate 4,000 meters at the Hawkeye Invite. Hostetler and McCabe finished 14th (14:51) and 15th (14:52), respectively, while Winke closed the final scoring position at 22nd (15:06) in the 57-person spread.
- On the men’s side, freshman Spencer Smith completed his first 6,000-meter race in 12th place (18:49) overall and in the third scoring position for the Hawkeyes.
NEXT UP FOR THE HAWKEYES
The Hawkeyes head to South Bend, Indiana, to compete at the Notre Dame Invite on Friday, Sept. 28.
LINK UP WITH THE HAWKEYES
For an inside look at the Iowa cross country program and to access exclusive coverage, “like” The University of Iowa Cross Country and Track & Field Facebook page and follow @IowaXC_TF on Twitter.