IOWA CITY, Iowa — The University of Iowa men’s and women’s cross country teams travel to South Bend, Indiana, to compete at the Joe Piane – Notre Dame Invitational, on Friday. The Hawkeyes compete at Burke Golf Course with student-athletes from 33 men’s and 36 women’s teams. The women’s 5,000-meter race begins at noon (CT), men’s five miles begins at 12:45 p.m., and the women’s and men’s open race begins at 1:30 p.m.
HOW TO FOLLOW
Results are posted on the Iowa cross country Twitter account: @Iowa XC_TF and online at hawkeyesports.com. They will also be posted at UND.com
HAWKEYES START STRONG
- The Hawkeyes started the season off with two second-place finishes at the Hawkeye Invitational (Aug. 31), earning eight wins overall. Both teams had wins over Iowa Central, Northern Iowa, Illinois State and Drake. They returned to action at the Woody Greeno Invite, adding another second place finish for the men in the 8,000 meters and a third-place finish in the women’s 6,000 meters.
- Andrea Shine won the Hawkeye Invitational women’s 4,000 meters (14:07.5) and followed up with a win at the Woody Greeno Invite 6,000 meters (21:15.1). On the men’s side, Dan Soto as led the Hawkeyes in both races with ninth and fourth place finishes in the 6,000 (18:44.3) and 8,000 meters (24:45.5), respectively.
IN THE RANKINGS
- The women ranked 13th in the Midwest Regional polls. Among the competition this week are Midwest Region No. 3 Oklahoma and No. 5 Northwestern. The men’s team is ranked ninth Midwest Region in the weekly USTFCCCA polls.
- The men compete this week against No. 8 Illinois State and No. 13 Oklahoma. Also competing this weekend are 20 teams ranked in their perspective region.
WOMEN’S TOP RUNNERS
- Heading into the Joe Piane – Notre Dame Invitational, senior Andrea Shine is coming off two wins at the Hawkeye Invitational and Woody Greeno Invite. In 2017, Shine set her career fastest 5,000 meters (17:16.0) during the Joe Piane invite.
- Senior Megan Schott has scored in the second scoring position for the Hawkeyes in both meets this season, recording a fourth place finish (14:23.7) at the Hawkeye Invite and 16th (22:03.1) at the Woody Greeno Invite.
MEN’S TOP RUNNERS
- Senior Daniel Soto was Iowa’s top runner in both meets, finishing ninth (18:44.3) at the Hawkeye Invite 6,000 meters (Aug. 31) and third (24:45.5) at the Woody Greeno Invite 8,000 meters (Sept. 15).
- Junior Nathan Mylenek finished the 2017 Joe Piane – Notre Dame Invite five miles in 24:32.9, scoring in first position for the Hawkeyes. Mylenek placed sixth (25:08.6) at the Woody Greeno Invite 8,000 meters as Iowa’s second scorer.
HAWKEYE NEWCOMERS NOTABLES
- The women’s team has a lot of newcomer talent in scoring position this season. Freshman Anna Hostetler has finished third for the Hawkeyes in both races. Also in scoring position for the Hawkeyes have been rookies Grace McCabe, Jordan Winke, Jessica McKee, and Kylie Latham.
- On the men’s side, freshman Spencer Smith completed his first 6,000-meter race in 12th place (18:49) overall and in the third scoring position for the Hawkeyes at the Hawkeye Invite.
NEXT UP FOR THE HAWKEYES
The Hawkeyes head in different directions in two weeks as the women compete in the Bradley Invite on Oct. 12 and the men will compete on Oct. 13 at the Pre-Nationals meet hosted by WIsconsin.
LINK UP WITH THE HAWKEYES
For an inside look at the Iowa cross country program and to access exclusive coverage, “like” The University of Iowa Cross Country and Track & Field Facebook page and follow @IowaXC_TF on Twitter.