HARTFORD, Wisc. — University of Iowa freshman Gonzalo Leal Montero carded his third round at or below par this season to lead the University of Iowa men’s golf team and the field of 72 golfers in round one of the Marquette Intercollegiate at Erin Hills on Sunday. Iowa is tied for second place after recording a first round score of 287 (-1) at the par-72 (7,869 yards) Erin Hills Golf Course.
After posting his second five-under par round of the season, Leal Montero is leading the field with a 67 (-5) thru 18 holes. Leal Montero fired an eagle on the back nine and four birdies on the front nine in round one. The 5-under-par ties for the third best 18-hole score in tournament history.
Northwestern leads the field by one stroke (286, -2) over the Hawkeyes and No. 12 Arizona State (287, -1).
Redshirt junior Alex Moorman carded an eagle on the back nine and four birdies to finish even par (72) in round one, tying 11th.
Junior Benton Weinberg is tied for 20th after firing an eagle to finish round one with a score of 73 (+1).
Juniors Matthew Walker and Alex Schaake each carded two birdies on the front nine in round one. Schaake shot a 75 (+3), tying for 35th. Walker finished the round with a score of 76 (+4) to tie 47th going into tomorrow’s second round.
|1||Gonzalo Leal Montero||67||-5||67|
Senior Aaron Denucci is competing as an individual. He is tied for 35th with a one round score of 75 (+3) after shooting two birdies in round one on Sunday.
- Three different Hawkeyes carded eagles on today’s scorecard. Alex Moorman and Gonzalo Leal Montero on the par-5, 613-yard 14th hole, while Benton Weinberg eagled the par-5, 608-yard first hole
- Iowa leads the field in par-four scoring average (4.02; +1), pars (57), and eagles (3).
- Gonzalo Leal Montero leads the field with a par-five scoring average of 4.00 (-4).
- Alex Moorman is first in the field in par-four scoring (3.80; -2).
- Benton Weinberg’s 14 birdies are second best in the field.
COACH STITH’S COMMENTS
“We had a couple big numbers coming in and missed an opportunity to post a low round. Tomorrow will be a completely new test and we need to be ready for the challenge.”
The second round of the Marquette Intercollegiate at Erin Hills tees off tomorrow morning at 9 a.m. (CT).