Hawk Talk Month – September | 24 Hawkeyes to Watch 2018-19 | Hawkeye Fan Shop — A Black & Gold Store – https://hawkeyefanshop.com/?utm_source=HawkeyeSports&utm_medium=HawkeyeSports&utm_campaign=HawkeyeSports | Diane Thomason Invite Individual | Diane Thomason Invite Team Scores
IOWA CITY, Iowa – A season-best two round total of 598 (+22) has the University of Iowa women’s golf team in first place through 36 holes at the Diane Thomason Invitational.
Southern Illinois and North Dakota State are tied in second with a score of 623. They are followed by Northern Iowa (628; +52) and Drake (631; +55).
Freshman Manuela Lizarazu leads the field at 146 (+2). She carded a one-under-par 71 in round one – a career low. Seniors Kristin Glesne (150; +6) and Shawn Rennegarbe (152; +8) are in third and fourth place, respectively. Freshman Dana Lerner and sophomore Brett Permann also closed the day in the top-10, placing fifth and ninth.
“I’m really happy with my performance today. I feel like I gave it my best today, and I’m feeling very confident with my long game,” said Lizarazu. “My driver has been really good, and my putter has been better these past few weeks.”
- The Hawkeyes posted a season-low, 18-hole score of 299 in both the first and second round.
- Manuela Lizarazu recorded a career-low during the first round, shooting one-under-par with four birdies.
- Senior Kristin Glesne shot 74 (+2) in round one, tying her season-low.
- Senior Shawn Rennegarbe registered a round two score of 73 with one birdie, climbing up 11 spots on the leaderboard.
- Freshman Dana Lerner closed the first round at two-over-par, utilizing three birdies.
- Sophomore Brett Permann made her Hawkeye debut, carding a two-round score of 155 (+11).
HERZOG PACES INDIVIDUALS
After registering a two-round score of 156 (+12) with three birdies, Iowa sophomore Stephanie Herzog is tied for 11th and leads all individuals. Sophomores Rachel Fujitani and Sophie Liu are tied for 32nd, and sophomore Annalee Dannegger is tied for 48th, respectively.
QUOTING COACH MENZEL
“We came out a little slow, but I was really pleased with our freshmen. They continue to improve and bring a great attitude. This afternoon, our seniors really came out strong. Kristin and Shawn had good afternoons. We still have some things to work on, but it’s nice to see some progress from this week.”
The third round of the Diane Thomason Invite tees off at 9:00 a.m. (CT) tomorrow.
Live stats are available on Golfstat.com. Fans can also follow at @iowawomensgolf on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram to stay up to date on the latest Hawkeye news.