IOWA CITY, Iowa – The University of Iowa women’s golf team clinched the team and individual title at the Diane Thomason Invitational, carding a final round of 300 (+12) on Sunday at Finkbine Golf Course. The Hawkeyes finished with a 54-hole total of 898 (+34). Senior Shawn Rennegarbe tied for first, finishing with a three-round total of 221 (+5).
The team title marks the first for Iowa since Sept. 13, 2015, when Iowa won the Diane Thomason Invitational. Rennegarbe is the first Hawkeye medalist since Jessica Ip earned the honor in 2015 (Diane Thomason Invitational).
“I feel like this is a really big confidence booster for us. We had a lot of great individual battles out there,” said head coach Megan Menzel. “(Shawn) made me a little bit emotional today. She’s probably one of the hardest working kids in the country. Today she finally came through and showed that hard work pays off.”
North Dakota State finished second (920; +56). Northern Iowa (933; +69) and Southern Illinois (944; +80) were third and fourth, respectively.
RENNEGARBE SHINES IN HOME FINALE
Senior Shawn Rennegarbe claimed medalist honors for the first time in her career. She carded a career-low, 18-hole score of 69 (-3) in Sunday’s final round. The Addieville, Illinois, native fired
three birdies on the back nine to put herself in title contention during round three.
“This is my first time playing in Iowa City. I feel really lucky to be a Hawkeye right now,” said Rennegarbe. “Everybody came out and we had a great team energy.”
Seniors Shawn Rennegarbe and Kristin Glesne and freshmen Manuela Lizarazu and Dana Lerner all notched top-10 finishes.
- Rennegarbe climbed three spots on the leaderboard to seal her first career win.
- Lizarazu fired six birdies in the first two rounds en-route to a third-place finish– a career-best.
- Glesne made her college debut at the 2015 Diane Thomason Invite, placing 29th. On Sunday, Glesne registered a career-high finish (fourth) in her last home tournament as a Hawkeye. The senior had six birdies on the first day of the tournament.
- Lerner tied for sixth overall in her first home tournament as a Hawkeye, utilizing a two-over-par first round with three birdies.
- The Hawkeyes posted a season-low, 18-hole score of 299 in both the first and second round.
- Rennegarbe was the only player in the tournament to shoot under-par in round three.
- Freshman Manuela Lizarazu registered a career-high finish (3rd) after shooting one-under-par in the first round. She carded a three-round total of 223 (+7).
- Senior Kristin Glesne placed fourth – a career-best, registering a three-round score of 226 (+10).
- Freshman Dana Lerner capped her first home tournament by finishing sixth – a career best finish.
- Sophomore Brett Permann made her Hawkeye debut, carding a three-round score of 234 (+18). She tied for 13th.
INDIVIDUALS ENTER TOP-10
Stephanie Herzog also notched a career-best finish, competing as an individual. The sophomore tied for 10th with a three-round score of 233 (+17), utilizing two birdies in round three. Sophomore Rachel Fujitani and junior Sophie Liu both tied for 32nd, finishing with a 238 (+22) 54-hole total. Sophomore Annalee Dannegger tied for 48th, respectively.
The Hawkeyes travel to Sammamish, Washington, to compete in the Edean Ihlanfeldt Invite on Oct. 9-10.
Live stats are available on Golfstat.com. Fans can also follow at @iowawomensgolf on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram to stay up to date on the latest Hawkeye news.