Hawk Talk Monthly — October 2018 | Hawkeye Fan Shop — A Black & Gold Store | 24 Hawkeyes to Watch 2017-18 | Bradley “Pink” Classic Live Results | Pre-Nationals Live Results
IOWA CITY, Iowa — The University of Iowa men’s and women’s cross country teams travel to separate competitions this weekend as the women compete at the Bradley “Pink” Classic in Peoria, Ill. on Friday, and the men compete at Pre-Nationals in Madison, Wis. on Saturday. The women’s 6,000-meter race is at Newman Golf Course at 3:15 p.m. (CT). The men’s 8,000-meter race is at Thomas Zimmer Championship Cross Country Course at 11:30 a.m. (CT).
HOW TO FOLLOW
Results are posted on the Iowa cross country Twitter account: @Iowa XC_TF and online at hawkeyesports.com. They will also be posted at BradleyBraves.com and UWBadgers.com.
HAWKEYES RANKED 6TH IN MIDWEST REGION
- The University of Iowa women’s cross country team is ranked sixth in the Midwest Region, jumping up seven spots in the latest United States Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association poll. It marks the women’s highest ranking since 2012.
- The Hawkeye women placed seventh at the Joe Piane-Notre Dame Invitational on Sept. 28. Andrea Shine led the way for Iowa, placing 15th and setting her 6,000 meters personal best (17:10.29).
UPPERCLASSMEN LEAD THE WAY
- For the third time in as many races, seniors Daniel Soto and Andrea Shine have led the Hawkeyes in their respective events. At the Joe Piane-Notre Dame Invite Soto bettered his personal best five miles time by more than 30 seconds, clocking in at 24:16.19 to finish 14th overall. Shine finished the women’s 5,000 meters in 17:10.29, breaking her personal best time by six seconds and placing 15th.
- Behind Soto and Shine, Nathan Mylenek and Megan Schott finished in second scoring position for their respective races. Schott’s 30th-place finish (17:28.99) marks her third week in the second scoring position. Mylenek cross the five mile finish line in 38th (24:44.0).
- The Bradley “Pink” Invite marks the second 6,000-meter race for the Hawkeye women. They finished second in their previous 6K race at the Woody Greeno Invite. Once again, Shine led the Hawkeyes with a first-place finish (21:15.1). Schott followed in 16th (22:03.1).
- The Hawkeye men are running their second 8,000-meter race of the season. They placed second in their only other 8,000 meter race at the Woody Greeno Invite on Sept. 15. Daniel Soto and Nathan Mylenek both placed in the top 10. Soto’s third-place finish (24:45.5) paced four seconds behind an Olympian. Mylenek placed three spots back from his teammate in sixth (25:08.6).
WOMEN’S TOP RUNNERS
- Andrea Shine was Iowa’s top finisher at the Bradley “Pink” Classic in 2017, placing second at 20:47.3.
- The Hawkeye women prove to have a strong freshmen class. At the Joe Piane-Notre Dame Invite, Anna Hostetler finished in the third scoring position (17:42.71), Grace McCabe in fourth (18:10.29), and Jessica McKee closed out the final scoring position (18:24.47). Hostetler has finished in the third scoring position in all three races this season.
MEN’S TOP RUNNERS
- Senior Daniel Soto and junior Nathan Mylenek will both be running in the Pre-Nationals 8,000 meters, following consecutive one, two finishes at Woody Greeno Invite and Joe Piane-Notre Dame Invite.
- At Notre Dame, the Hawkeyes saw career top-finishes from junior Karson Sommer and sophomore Noah Healy. Sommer and Healy each bested their five mile times by over a minute, finishing 25:10.21 and 25:25.77, respectively.
NEXT UP FOR THE HAWKEYES
The Hawkeyes close out the regular season in two weeks at the Illini Open on Oct. 19. The post season begins Oct. 28 at the Big Ten Championships hosted by Nebraska.
LINK UP WITH THE HAWKEYES
For an inside look at the Iowa cross country program and to access exclusive coverage, “like” The University of Iowa Cross Country and Track & Field Facebook page and follow @IowaXC_TF on Twitter.